PDA

View Full Version : When to add LR??

dekay
09/16/2003, 06:35 PM
Do I place the LR in after ammonia and nitrite are 0 or while ammonia and nitrite above 0? This is a new tank, and I previosly placed some cocktails shrimp to spike up the ammonia.

katar
09/16/2003, 06:41 PM
Depends are you worried about losing the life that is in the rock. If not you can place your rock in now. If you are then wait until your tank has no ammonia or nitrites then add the rock. When you add the rock you might have a spike of ammonia since some rock is not completely cured.

pr4mncplus
09/16/2003, 06:41 PM
Well, not much to go on. What size is your tank, how much LR and is it cured or uncured?

Maxxumless
09/16/2003, 06:48 PM
More details would be helpful. Size of tank, current filtration (chemical, biological, mechanical), substrate (sand bed/crushed coral), time the tank has already been cycling, and what are current levels?

bkwudzjeep
09/16/2003, 06:52 PM
I have heard numerous times to either 1)add it all at once (or as much as you can), or 2)wait and add rock slowly.

1)add all LR at once to aid in cycling your tank, but you will have some die off (this is good though, because it will aid in starting the cycle) along with your shrimp.

2) wait until your tank cycles, then add a little at a time (unless you add cured rock). Chances are if you buy cured rock, you will have some die off in transport anyway causing a small spike, but shouldn't be too much to worry about. But if you add uncured....cure it at home. (adding uncured LR is just like adding another fish.)

HTH

pr4mncplus
09/16/2003, 07:03 PM
I would think that if you add uncured LR you don't need the shrimp to help in cycling.

bkwudzjeep
09/16/2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by pr4mncplus
I would think that if you add uncured LR you don't need the shrimp to help in cycling.
That is true.

Go Bucs....OSU that is.;)

tedandbethanyreefers
09/16/2003, 10:00 PM
i have a simalar question.
i have a 20g long with 20lbs live sand, emperor 280 with biowheel a rio 180 powerhead with 2 domino damsels cycling right now since saturday the 13th

i am planning on adding cured live rock from a LFS+(not worried about price as my girlfriend works here and can get it for a steal, really good rock as well)

i am planning on adding the rock after the tank cycles from the damsels, is this the way to go? dont really want to remove the damsels either....kinda like um

-ted-