PDA

View Full Version : Overflow protection (if syphon is lost)

jeffriryan
09/16/2003, 08:34 AM
I'm new to this so bare with me... If I loose syphon and my return pump continues pumping water into my tank I will have a mess. Is there a float type mechanism that I can plug my return pump to and place in my sump so that if the water level ever falls below that point it will shut the pump off? Or, is there an easy way to rig something up for that? :confused:

musicsmaker
09/16/2003, 08:37 AM
I'm going to partition a small area in the sump for the pump to sit in. If the syphon is lost, it will only pump the amount of water that fits in that area up into the tank. I'll try to find some pix to illustrate what I'm talking about.

jeffriryan
09/16/2003, 08:52 AM
That sounds like a good idea. That will stop the tank from overflowing, but another concern of mine is running the pump dry and burning it up.

Fizz71
09/16/2003, 08:59 AM
musicsmaker's got it. You need that last chamber so it doesn't run dry. The other alternative is to run PVC up to just below the sump's water level..but if the pump is really powerfull and the pvc is too small or too close to the surface, you could wind up sucking air if you're not carefull.

You can also get water level alarms (search marinedepot.com for "alarms"..it's on the last page) to let you know when this happens so the pumps not running dry too long. I think that device even has an outlet to kill the pump...never seen it though.

--Fizz

jeffriryan
09/16/2003, 09:07 AM
I like his idea for the seperate compartment, but once the pump drains that area it will run dry and ruin the pump. I'm a cheapskate and don't want to have to replace the pump if possible. I was thinking that a float type switch would fix everything.

cwschoon
09/16/2003, 09:13 AM
Interesting idea, the seperate chamber. A burned out pump may be cheaper than a flood. I am beginning a search for a better overflow-an alternative to my basic u tube-that is more stable and wil not get blocked by a big snail. Does anyone have experience with the Marineland overflow or any other suggestions?

jeffriryan
09/16/2003, 09:13 AM
I just found one on Marine Depot. Its the ULTRALIFE FLOAT SWITCH. They sell it for about $60. If it keeps me from having to clean up water, then its worth it. Anyone ever use one of these?

musicsmaker
09/16/2003, 09:14 AM
Use the float switch along with the partition. If the switch fails you run the risk of pumping ALL the sump water out (tank overflows) and your pump still runs dry. You won't know it failed until you need it.

I guess my suggestion should have been made as an additional safeguard, not an alternative solution.

jeffriryan
09/16/2003, 09:24 AM
musicmaker-

Did you just buy a piece of acrylic or something and bind it with adhesive or silicone to partition it off?

musicsmaker
09/16/2003, 09:38 AM
I'm leaning on the idea of building an acrylic box that actually sits down inside of the sump. That way it I can remove it if I need to later on.

connecticut cichlids
09/16/2003, 01:40 PM
float switches (http://www.floatswitches.net/floatswitch.html)

arcab4
09/16/2003, 01:45 PM
this might work...

http://www.reeffanatic.com/cgi-bin/mas/category.cgi?item=CT_RFLC&type=store

hammerhead
09/16/2003, 01:55 PM
heres a pic of my sump. When the water level drop down on the pump side that compartment is drained not the whole sump.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/30223SUMP1.jpg

joedelt
09/16/2003, 01:59 PM
tunze has somthing similar to their osmolator that i think serves the same function.

i asked roger about it but havnt had a response to the thread yet.

if it works like i think it will, im going to get one to turn off both the return and the euroreef to prevent any rundry issues.

/john