PDA

View Full Version : Latebricola

Anildo Matos
09/15/2003, 11:57 PM
Hi people,

Has anybody being succesfull with this fish ? What's their feeding and living behaviour ?

Thank's

EdKruzel
09/16/2003, 01:19 AM
Are you referring to the Stygnobrotula latebricola, common name, Black Widow?

This is a cryptic tiny fish that lives amongst the shallow reefs. It is somewhat nocturnal feeding upon pods and other tiny crustaceans.

This fish is a live bearer and will most likely breed in captivity providing the proper conditions are met.

Take care,
Ed

Anildo Matos
09/16/2003, 03:34 PM
Hi Ed,

That's it ! The Blackwidow. Very interisting this fish, but I was not sure if is a long life specie when in captivity.

Thank's and regards,

Anido

Laura D
09/17/2003, 09:47 AM
Check out Reef Fishes vol. 1 (S Micheal) it has a detailed chapter on these guys. I was intrigued by them when I read they were livebearers.

Anildo Matos
09/18/2003, 10:02 AM
Thank's for the help.

I'll look for the book.

Regards,

Anildo

technoshaman
09/18/2003, 11:04 AM
Is this one of those cryptic Brotulas? If you can't find that they commonly import the yellow brotula as a yellow lycopod goby. Very neat fish but you will basically never see it unless it has nowhere to hide and that would stress it. They have had one at my LFS for a few months and he hides in his little pvc cave 24x7.

Ed - know the latin name for the one they commonly sell as the yellow goby in the hobby?

EdKruzel
09/18/2003, 05:50 PM
Technoshaman,
Do you mean the Golden Brotula? Gunterichthys longipenis.

That fish is often misnamed as a Blenny or a Gobie.

I once had a Stonogobiops nematodes in a SPS 20gal long.

I saw the fish for about 2mins and then it swam behind the rocks never to be seen again... so I thought.
After a few days I wrote it off as dead. Three years later I was moving the tank. While removing the rock... there it was swimming about.

The cryptic species are nice as long as they can be viewed.

Take care,
Ed