PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where I can purchase a Battery Powered 'Backup' power supply?

RLiu818
09/15/2003, 10:56 PM
I have a Aquafuge for my ten gallon nano and if the power cuts out the fuge backsiphons and raises the water level my tank two inches, causing overflow.

I want to set up my Aquafuge so that it normally runs off the power from the outlet, but in a case of a blackout, it will run from a battery powered power supply. So it would be an adapter type thingy that activates itself and runs off a battery when it senses there is no power coming from the wall. Does such a thing exist?

I dont want to run it off a Battery Powered power supply. I want to run it off a Battery Powered 'BACKUP' power supply. This way i wont have to worry about replacing batteries every so often and risk forgetting to replace a battery and have it go dead on me causing overflow.

Does Home Depot sell such a device? Is there a specific name for it when I go to the store to ask or are they just called Battery Powered Backup Power Supplies?

Rock Anemone
09/15/2003, 11:05 PM
I believe Best Buy sells them for computers (or multi-use). I am looking into one myself, since Power Outages rarely happen here and don't last longer then an hour or so.

Rock Anemone:D

littleprince
09/15/2003, 11:36 PM
Your looking for a UPS. just go into any computer store. The cheap ones are not recommended for powering aquarium pumps from the manufacturers.
The best solution is go get a car battery, and a power inverter. They make modules to switch it on wehn the power goes out, and they have solar and wind powered generators for recharging as well.

melev
09/15/2003, 11:49 PM
Is there something you can do to prevent the fuge from backsiphoning so much? What about drilling anti siphon holes to keep the water level at a safer height?

I saw a nice APC 1500 UPS at CompUSA for $199. It looked like a tower, similar to a PC tower, but thinner.

RLiu818
09/16/2003, 12:01 AM
Why wouldnt a cheap one work?

Like this
http://www.apcc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=21
http://www.apcc.com/products/runtime_by_family.cfm?upsfamily=21

melev
09/16/2003, 12:41 AM
The cheaper ones will last less long. That is the only thing. How many watts will you need, and for how long? Once you know that, you can find the unit that works for you.

I still think you need to find a way to avoid back siphoning, regardless whether you using a UPS or not.

RLiu818
09/16/2003, 12:46 AM
yea i guess drilling a hole would be the cheapest and most effective way to go but i have no idea how to go about doing that.

my aquafuge is already filled up with water and macro.

i dont know how to remove that tube and i dont know hwo to drill a hole!

im so stupid!!!

melev
09/16/2003, 12:50 AM
Is this a CPR product? You might try using the SEARCH feature here on RC to see if anyone has already posted the modification, so you can do the same.

Rock Anemone
09/16/2003, 03:44 PM
I believe www.MarineDepot.com sells a valve you connect in your tubing which stops back siphoning. Might work, not surre on how much pace you have, or what type of tubing. Check it out and see if it'll work.

Melev, you've got a message on your forum.:cool:

Rock Anemone:D