PDA

View Full Version : Hqi?

LawnTodd
09/15/2003, 10:35 PM
I'm breaking open the piggy bank and getting metal halides. whats better HQI or screw in? I heard HQI fixtures are less expensive. Is there a + and - to each one? I will be going 250watt, 10k-65k-10k set up. just don't Know what type of bulb to go with.

henkelsfamily
09/16/2003, 04:07 AM
Right on. the 10K you can do in HQI the 65K will have to be EYE (SE) I suggest you go with the reef optics III for the HQI. Do not get the ballest. Get the Ice Cap to fire the bulbs. I would suggest running a Mercury Vapor to get the best out of the 65K. Remember that the 65K is very yellow. There has been some talk on over driving the 65K bulbs to make them whiter to the eye. Do a search. You can get all of the equipment from Vince at Ocean Encounters. The MV ballest you can get a an electrical supply store, Colonial Supply in the North East around Grant and Buselton. What kinda beer are you serving on the 27th? This is my RSVP.

Walter

Spykey
09/16/2003, 04:05 PM
Count me in for the 27th also.

I am gettting ready to purchase a 250 HQI set soon. I've seen the DE and the SE side by side and the DE out perform the SE by a lot. Go with the DE you will not be sorry.

LArry

henkelsfamily
09/16/2003, 04:50 PM
I am looking over my shoulder right now and I can not tell where the 400w end and the 250HQI DE start. Friggen bright. and I love the 20K XM bulbs. I just ordered 10K XMs to see what they are like. Shoot me email addresses and I will send pictures.

the tiler
10/06/2003, 05:51 AM
Hey guys I hope you don't mind me stepping in
I have three Reef optix hqi running on Icecap Ballast
They started with 10k Aqualine They were ok then one blew and I changed with 10K Uoshio Much brighter than Aqualine Then another blew and I replaced it with 20k XM way to blue for me
Plus the bulb only lasted Four weeks. Last night I ordered two more 10 K Uoshio from Hellolights.

Nice talking to ya
Jason

henkelsfamily
10/06/2003, 06:10 AM
Nice tie work, I mean hood. The 20K XM are blue but I kinda like it. The 10K are fine also.

Walter

Dr.King
10/07/2003, 07:10 PM
Hi all! I am in the process of getting re-aquainted with the reef addiction. My last tank was 10 years ago using NO bulbs and a skilter for filtration on a 20 gallon long tank. I will be setting up a 180 tank in my basement for a mixxed reef(SPS /Trid, Clams /zoo's /shrooms). I am thinking of running 2 400 watt HM XM 20K bulbs and 2 to 4 VHO actinics on the tank. I realise that this will make for a very "blue" appareance but I like it that way. What is the major difference between HQI and regular MH lighting? Do you recommend electronic or magnetic ballasts?

On a side note, I will be making a trip to Salsbury, Md to get LR from Dr. Mac and Sons. Has anyone ever used them? He recommended Blueline E-ballasts with the XM 20K bulbs and VHO actinics for his coral frags.

Thanks in advance for the help.:cool:

henkelsfamily
10/08/2003, 04:00 AM
Welcome back. I am running both the 400w XM 20k and 250w DE XM 20K. You are not going to need any VHO except for dawn/dusk lighting. These bulbs are blue but not as blue as the radiums. The 250 DE bulbs are as bright as the 400W Moguls but the light spread is not as good as a 400W with spider reflector, JMO. Ask anone in the club an they will tell you that I am a whore for lighting. I would do a mix of 400w 20K with 250w DE 10K, all XM bulbs. All run on E-Ballasts.

ASk Creeper for his take on the good doctors rock.
Walter

Ocean Image
10/08/2003, 07:26 AM
I can certainly vouche for Dr. Mac live rock. In the past two years I have purchased over 500 lbs and have been happy with every one of them. I would suggest the Keilini, partially cured. When you speek to him tell him the size and type of tank, he will help pick appropriate sizes. He has a nice habbit of putting a beautiful show piece in every order. Good luck!

the tiler
10/12/2003, 07:05 PM
Im changing to moguls on my 120 gal

Jason