PDA

View Full Version : Best Adult Beverage While Watching Reef Tank

pdb
05/24/2001, 07:25 PM
This is a good one. What is your favorite drink while watching your tank? Wine, Beer, Martini, or a shot of Tequila?

I prefer a nice Bombay Sapphire and tonic.

Anyone else???

jimhobbs
05/24/2001, 07:32 PM
I got one of those new coffee makers that grinds and brews the coffee...EXCELLENT!:)

{Some of us no longer partake of the adult beverages:D}

Carlos
05/24/2001, 07:36 PM
The Skimmer!!!! (Corona with salt, lime, and hot sauce) :D

Joez
05/24/2001, 08:02 PM
Chianti

funktree
05/24/2001, 08:10 PM
Sierra nevada Pale Ale as cold as possible

Nagel
05/24/2001, 08:40 PM
A Pint of Bass Ale. In a frosted mug of course.

nk57
05/24/2001, 09:02 PM
Green Mountain Chocolate Rasberry Coffee. Hmmmm.

Nancy

Clyde
05/24/2001, 09:08 PM
am I the only one thinking a nice COLD dr pepper is the best thing ?

yeah I think dr pepper is an adult beverage :)

Q-ball
05/24/2001, 09:38 PM
A good single malt scotch (at least 12yrs, preferably 18:)) on the rocks with a good cigar. Favorite current cigar is Ashton Churchill's with dominican fill & conneticut shade wrapper:D

chet-tonja
05/24/2001, 10:03 PM
Captain Morgan Private Stock and Pepsi...any one else appreciate a beverage with a little kick? Anyone ever tried the stuff in your skimmer collection cup???

hcs3
05/24/2001, 10:33 PM
mushroom tea - it really adds to the color of the corals :)

(if you gotta ask, don't)

seriously, any import beer or microbrewed beer in a frozen pint glass. but the wife doesn't prefer those, so sometimes it's gotta be an australian shiraz.

henry

O'Man
05/24/2001, 10:45 PM
Either a Yuengling black & tan or a Kettle One with a tomolive....These days the yuengling is more fiscally responsible.

mr9iron
05/24/2001, 10:59 PM
I prefer an ice cold Budweiser or a Crown Royal and coke.

Q-ball
05/24/2001, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by O'Man
Either a Yuengling black & tan or a Kettle One with a tomolive....These days the yuengling is more fiscally responsible.

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, another Yuengling fan!:D I prefer lager myself, but anything from that wonderful brewery is ok with me!;)

Q!!!

Kat
05/24/2001, 11:12 PM
Q-ball, my husband wholeheartedly agrees with you. You & he would have a good time comparing cigars and appreciatively draining that single-malt...

I, however, agree more with pdb, although a nice Brazilian Cachaça is my current fave. Especially with a nice little cup of espresso, either before or afterwards!

blackfish
05/24/2001, 11:17 PM
Several drams of rum - the likes of Appleton Estate or Babancourt Five Star...
Or an Old Dominion J. Paul's or Blue Ridge ESB Red Ale.
cheers,
blackfish

6-line
05/24/2001, 11:51 PM
Only one choice...
Sam Adams Stock Ale.......

chrislove01
05/25/2001, 02:45 AM
GUINESS!

I nice pint(or three)of the black stuff,

Oh yeah

Chris

Niven
05/25/2001, 10:25 AM
Sittin' back, watchin' my reef, drinkin' a Blatz....True

Or the Bombay Sapphire, depending on availability, the liquer closet doesn't always have any;)
Niven

Agu
05/25/2001, 02:40 PM
In the summer a cold Summit Extra Pale Ale.

In the winter a black russian over crushed ice.

Agu

Niven, You have a liquor CLOSET ? No wonder you can't keep it stocked :D

Niven
05/25/2001, 04:15 PM
You know how it is Agu, it's not the size it's what you put into it;)
Agu, what about those Minnesotan Brews?
Happy Memorial Day everyone,
Gareth

OK it's more of a small cabinet, but it's full of the good stuff.

gas4544
05/25/2001, 04:16 PM
Kinda depends on what I had for dinner that night. I usually prefer a good California Chardonnay (goes well with alder-smoked Alaskan King Salmon), but I've been enjoying Cabs or Merlots with grilled steaks, too.

billsreef
05/25/2001, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by blackfish
Babancourt Five Star...
blackfish

Now there is a good rum.

blackfish, if you ever make out to Long Island be sure and let me know...I have a stash that includes some of the 15 year old stuff :D

As for sitting in front of the tank, it varys. From coffee to good beer (Sam, Bass or simular) to good wine (local Long Island stuff, though that Australian Shiraz stuff is good also) to the above mentioned rum ;)

Vilas
05/25/2001, 09:17 PM
a scotch, if it's alcoholic..
but a nice cup of herbal tea, some quiet music, and the reef..what can beat it?
The relaxation factor of the reef does more for me than any beverage!

ashmiester
05/25/2001, 10:15 PM
My basement's my sanctuary........My 90 gallon reef tank & all my Soda Pop & Brewriana collectables. If your in to old signs & advertising, you'd be like a pig in s____ in my basement! Or I'll shoot some stick on my pool table.I personally like to drink my protien shake after a good workout listening to some old tunes off my victrola or pulling some old tunes off my big 1930's console radio sitting there in front of the tank.Hey,...I'm not some old gipper cause I'm in to nostalgia, don't get me wrong, I'm only 40,....not 70!. I think I must have lived in a past life cause since I can remember since I was in 8th grade, I was always attracted to old stuff! I guess I'm eccentric with my collecting. The best part is when I come upstairs my wife say's "what do you do down there for an hour?, your tank is nothing but rock & inverts. ....ahh..........live rock, & very special inverts is goood for the mind & spirit....peace,...Gary
PS...I do break down & suck down some cold Rolling Rocks!

DedHed
05/25/2001, 10:27 PM
man, i just get whatever the gorcery store has on sale. usually natural light. it's my favorite beer. IN A BOTTLE. not cans, what do you think i'm cheap?

beer $3/6pack

couch (i forgot)

reef...priceless

Dennis

JSC
05/25/2001, 10:27 PM
Vodka w ruby red grapefruit and any kind of beer for a chaser :).

blackfish
05/25/2001, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by billsreef

blackfish, if you ever make out to Long Island be sure and let me know...I have a stash that includes some of the 15 year old stuff :D

[/B]

Roger that, Bill!

But I think when I do, I'd better allow a few days - i.e., plenty enough time to take care of rum tots plus lots of diving lies/sea stories...

cheers,
blackfish

Q-ball
05/26/2001, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by DedHed
man, i just get whatever the gorcery store has on sale. usually natural light. it's my favorite beer.

Oh, that's just nasty stuff!!!:D

billsreef
05/26/2001, 05:31 AM
blackfish,

LOL

BTW did I ever tell you about the time.....:D

Story best told over some good rum of course ;)

DedHed
05/26/2001, 03:23 PM
i may go out and get some expensive stuff now.

let me check the funds.

DOH!

i spent all my money on the reef. natural light again!

Dennis

Kahuna Tuna
05/26/2001, 05:32 PM
Depending on my mood its either a Redhook double black stout, a rum punch (I make my own punch mix and I could give you the recipe but I'd have to kill ya), a bloody mary (again w/ homemade BM mix), or a really good tequilla, right now my fave is Del Dueno Anejo reserva.

Will UK
05/27/2001, 08:26 AM
There is only ONE chillin drink..

Guinness baby :)

Can't beat it, although, if we're outta Guinness, Worthington's cream-flow is a nice substitute.

Regards

Will

cyclist1
05/27/2001, 02:25 PM
I agree with the Guinness. It is the best. If not Guinness, then any other quality stout will have to do. If no stout is available, then I prefer to have a nice dry red wine.

Andrew

Will UK
05/27/2001, 05:02 PM
Murphy's Irish Stout is close to Guinness, but hasn't got as deep a body to it, hasn't got the *coffee* after taste either

reichard
05/27/2001, 07:34 PM
Guinness! That's odd, the bottle now says brewed and bottled in Canada?!??!?? By LAbatts?!?!?

2nd to Guinness? Well, Korean Mokkoli of course!

reptilicus
05/27/2001, 10:54 PM
Beer. Enough said.
I will agree with Will on the Guinness, although Guinness has to be on tap, and it is difficult to drink tap beer and watch my reef at the same time. So a suitable substitute beer may be provided, something along the lines of Coopers Pale Ale, Cascade Special Stout, and the like.
Regards,
Tom

horge
05/28/2001, 12:52 AM
Guiness Extra Stout from 9am to noon, with fried fish
Madeira (Malmsey) any other time

Except Saturdays, which call for relief:
Cardenal Mendoza Jerez and biscuits

6-line
05/28/2001, 09:20 AM
Horge,
You know, it's kind of mundane, but I think I'd like a couple bottles of San Miguel;If not for anything but for old times sake when I was in the Navy visiting Olongapo in the 80's. Do they still have that Mojo or was it just a local kool-aid/alcohol contraption designed to get the sailor as drunk as possible as soon as possible? :D

[Edited by 6-line on 05-28-2001 at 12:35 PM]

Mushroom Boy
05/28/2001, 11:18 AM
Nothing beats a nice blueberry mead (melomel) in my book. Brings you to a place where you're at peace with the universe. Now if I can just get rid of that d*mn cyano, I'll be REALLY RELAXED!

:)

Bubafat
05/28/2001, 03:52 PM
My fave, "201 surpize"!

2 1.75's of the cheapest gin you can find
6 bottles of Boons
6 cans of assorted frozen juice concentrates
1/4 bottle of Bacardi 151
1 bottle of club soda
1/2 a bottle of high life beer that someone decides to pour in
2 bags of ice

Put it all in one of those soda containers (in a pop machine at like mcdonalds) that holds the syrup, clean of course).
Get 5 half drunken guys to each grab a handle then jump up and down laughing their @$$'s off at how dumb they look, then drink it down.

The surprise?
VERY potent stuff but doesn't taste like it, 24 oz will get a 250 pound person trashed.

If you don't have 15 of your buddies to do this with, a couple of Mikes Hard Lemonade are nice too.

Buba

wdt2000
05/28/2001, 04:50 PM
I like to have a Makers Mark and Ginger with a twist!

Will

PerryinCA
05/29/2001, 01:01 AM
Belvedere, or Absolut with Red Bull, and a slice of lemon.

Good stuff;)

Sometimes a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale will work...so will a shot or two of Padron(sp?)

-Perry

puff the magic fish
05/29/2001, 03:39 PM
Sam Adams, cappucino or if I really want to get into the fish tank, I just do shots of my skimmate. :)

puff

DanConnor
05/30/2001, 12:09 PM
Anything from Sierra Nevada kicks butt.

Starmy
05/30/2001, 07:19 PM
For the husband it has to be Guinness or homebrew stout. I can't stand beer, so the ultimate drink... A strawberry margarita made with the thick strawberry mixer...Mr. and Mrs. T or *** it's called... but instead of tequila, substitute either Requila Rose or Baja Rose, with a dollop of whipped cream mixed in. Tastes just like strawberries and cream. Yummy!

fishman
05/31/2001, 12:31 PM
O' Man and Q-Ball
I've got to agree with the Yuengling! Lager is good but nothing beats a Black & Tan!

6-Line
Is that the same San Miguel they have in Spain? If it is, all I will say is that it was better than Cruz Campo.

O'Man
05/31/2001, 10:19 PM
Hey Q-Ball & Fishman:

Been doing the Lord Chesterfield Ale this week, good stuff.

NaCl
06/01/2001, 12:44 AM
ok, enough Grolsch and a person could begin thinking about
Gerald's recommendation for growing Tang Heaven-pee on it,
of course that kind of thinking only leads to what could contribute
zooplankton to the tank--men? Hell, if one was to putty the nooks
and crannys of that spare bedroom, a reeftank suitable for snorkeling could be fashioned... of course none of these activities could possibly begin without more beer, well, ok a
hearty pee is definately in order, then more beer, i don't know
about feeding the corals..that's just weird, but more beer,
man, thaat's the WHOLE six pack?! i was just getting settled..

Doug1
06/01/2001, 01:53 AM
Guiness always works:)

fishman
06/01/2001, 08:38 AM
hcs3
Henry I think you might be on to something with the mushroom tea. Just think of the money that we can save on actinics!;) An added bonus might be that our corals would be able to actually tell us how they really feel! (although I'm not sure if I really want to know!)lol

filishy
06/01/2001, 09:03 AM
Q-Ball, I am with you:

A nice malt scoth, with a tiny bit of perrier water and a cigarrete.

aahhh..... :cool:

horge
06/01/2001, 09:57 AM
6-line:

Mojo's, huh?
So... how's your liver nowadays?
:D

Seriously, those ccan be very rude mothers --I can believe the object is to blur the victim's brain in the least amount of time.

I like my San Miguel too, but with real food --not easy in front of a reeftank.

Jeez, with that awful hostage situation down South (Jolo, Mindanao), I pretty much constantly NEED a stiff one to cool my head, reeftank or no.

horge

DukeDog
06/01/2001, 08:40 PM
Beer ,Beer and Beer. Sorry I get carried away sometimes.:D :D
Jeff

SciGuy2
06/06/2001, 08:23 AM
Mmmmm, fermented, barley soda

salty toes
06/06/2001, 10:29 AM
remy on the rocks...............

Nanook
06/07/2001, 04:07 AM
I like the occasional margarita with El Tesoro Anejo, a very smooth tequila, often times sipped like a fine whiskey. Accompanied by Elicia's Pizza, that's the killer combo!

Nanook

Laura D
06/07/2001, 10:51 AM
Well, my personal fave used to be Yeungling Lager. I just moved to the midwest from the east coast and THEY DON'T HAVE IT HERE, at least I cannot find it!!

So last night I substituted with Killians red!

I am so homesick.

_Laura

Frisco
06/07/2001, 11:04 PM
I enjoy lean in my cup!

MIKE
06/07/2001, 11:53 PM
Silver Oak Cabernet...........

hcs3
06/08/2001, 12:00 AM
ahh mikey

i've got a magnum of '94 with your name on it :)

henry

hcs3
06/08/2001, 12:07 AM
to the guinness fans...

how many of you have the draft in the bottle guiness avialble yet? they are making a huge kick-off of it in illinois. as a salesman of the crap (or burned coffee as i like to call it) we are having a hard time keeping it on the shelves. and reptilicus, i think you'll find the GDIB fits the tap style rather well. infact, that's why guiness spent 13 1/2 million $$$ developing this new bottle and rocket widget - you can't take a pint of draft with you in dance clubs, backyard BBQ's, etc...

henry

MIKE
06/08/2001, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by hcs3
ahh mikey

i've got a magnum of '94 with your name on it :)

henry

Ohhhhh!????

Hummm, what might it take to get it to my neck o the woods? :)
I have a coupla bottles. But, as you know, you can't have too much !!!!!!

hcs3
06/08/2001, 12:46 AM
Hummm, what might it take to get it to my neck o the woods?

there's always my wedding in jamaica ;)

pdb
06/08/2001, 09:24 AM
Henry,

Did you ever figure out if you could get Stella Artois in the US? I am going to Europe on the 27th and will be bringing some back with me but it would be nice to get a line on some in the US.

Thanks.

Q-ball
06/08/2001, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by mulberry
Well, my personal fave used to be Yeungling Lager. I just moved to the midwest from the east coast and THEY DON'T HAVE IT HERE, at least I cannot find it!!

So last night I substituted with Killians red!

I am so homesick.

_Laura

Hehe, Laura you are truly missing out on a fine Lager:) In fact, I'll make sure to toast one to you tonight at dinner, although I hope you don't mind I think I'm in the mood for one of their Black & Tan's tonight instead:D Maybe we can work out a trade? I could ship some lager for some frags or something?:bum:

Q!!!

hcs3
06/08/2001, 11:25 AM
pdb

sorry, no stella :(

an empty bottle (full would be better ;) ) could go a long way, however. if you have an empty laying around you can tell me how it got into the country (importer) it'd help a bunch.

henry

pdb
06/08/2001, 02:33 PM
Henry,

Stella Artois is originally from Leuven, Belgium. They are imported into the UK via Whitbread (I think that Whitbread actually brews some Stella in the UK, as well).

I actually had some Stella on draft last time I flew out of JFK so someone in the US is importing it now.

I would check on it but Delta cancelled their flights between JFK and Manchester, England, so I have to fly through Atlanta now. I'll do some sniffing around myself but I am sure that you are way more connected than I am.

I bring back a case or so when I go back home but obviously it doesn't last long.

Thanks

Laura D
06/08/2001, 02:46 PM
Q-

I am always up for trading frags. I just moved my tank and I trimed my corals down to what would be worth the hassle, so I have no frags now, but in six months or so I expect to have the same crazy growth out of my leathers, and I have just started into the realm of SPS with montipora digita (sp?) so I should have to make frags of that sometime in the future too, as the frags I started with are already growing like crazy. If you are serious, I may take you up on your offer for some Yuengling.

_Laura

O'Man
06/08/2001, 10:20 PM
Hey mulberry:

Cedar Rapids is "beer challenged", but the prices on what they do have are good, and the people I deal with, and have met there, seem nice anyway.

Cannot say I really know the town, only my customer, and the Fairfield Inn, Hampton Inn and I think it's called Union Station (a local youth-oriented bar with midwestern-style pizza).

Laura D
06/09/2001, 03:56 PM
Well, I discovered the other day tht I live right around the corner from the Cedar Rapids Brewery. It is close enough that I can stumble home safely if necessary.

It is a "sports bar" type place, which isn't really my thing, but they have a wide selection of brews, some seasonal specialties too, so I think I am going to like it here.

-Laura

dieselboy
06/12/2001, 06:53 AM
Yet another cool thread! If I had to choose, it would be a few shots of either Everclear or 151....chase it with some Mad Dog malt liquor....or for that matter some Old E, or maybe a Mickey's...hmmm, King Cobra...? LOL

Real drink of choice?
Wine: a nice big cab
Spirit: Remy Martin cognac
Mixer: ehhhh, who cares....I'm dating a girl who's a bartender....I'll let her surprise me...

Oh yeah, can't have my drink without a smoke, too....:smokin:

Aquaman
06/14/2001, 12:00 PM
Funny thread!

Mostly enjoy a nice glass of cabernet.

Now a few weeks ago my martial arts instructor came back from a trip to Japan and brought me a gift of Biwa no Choju Sake, which he said was from a very small brewery near where he was staying. We sat up most of the night talking and polished off the whole bottle while night viewing the tank.

NaCl
06/14/2001, 01:45 PM
i always enjoy watching my reeftank with a Samuel Smith Imperial
Stout and perhaps a fat handrolled cigarette and on occasion, a hukka filled with some fresh Turkish brick and an 8-ball of uncut Bolivian coke while two fine lady friends service me from head to toe on the top floor of my beach mansion with the sounds of the pacific ocean in the background..

i can only do that four nights a week though, friday i have to
jet all over the world to judge swimsuit contests and Saturday
and Sunday i race my Porsche along senic roads to make it in
time to do a diamond deal while sitting poolside and drinking
champagne..

Look for my upcoming music disc-

Saline

Aquatic Thuglife

toddgack
06/14/2001, 09:45 PM
Whomever mentioned the Everclear and King Cobra, I'm WITH YOU ON THAT!!! LOL I actually have a whole gallon of everclear waiting in the liqour cabinet for the next party I attend (when I can make my famous punch!).

Now on to the good stuff. I nice glass of absinthe is always good. Although it's illegal here in the states, so it's rare when I have a bottle (I got my last bottle from a MO. Cost me $100, and it's worth every penny!). When I don't have that, I prefer a nice rock & rye over sprite. And when all else fails, I just make my famous gackalicous (a homemade mixer).

For those who don't know:
1. Absinthe is a licorice flavored drink. It's illegal in many countries, due to a small trace of THC (chemical in marijana that gets you high).

2. Rock and rye is a whiskey that is aged with fruit in the barrels. It's not very common, however it's very good. Mix it with a lemon lime soda for a great taste.

3. The gackalicous is a mix I made up on night while trashed. It's a combination of O.J., cranberry juice, vodka, and midori, very, very tasty. I usually have people waiting in line for one when I throw a party. If you want the recipe, e-mail me.

Of course all of these are drunk slowly, with a cigarette or a good cigar. I prefer Arturo Fuente, specifically the Double Chateau Fuente.

TG

hubris007
05/10/2007, 05:14 PM
Schlitz!~ page 4.

dc
05/10/2007, 05:18 PM
You went a long ways for that one!

BLKTANG
05/10/2007, 05:24 PM
Remmy Red,& Ice cold Hinekin

TheBimbo
05/10/2007, 07:22 PM
Cup of hot tea, or some ice water...

Christy...

drumachine09
05/10/2007, 07:28 PM
Nothing beats a cup of GOOD coffee.

Aliie
05/10/2007, 08:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9918338#post9918338 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drumachine09
Nothing beats a cup of GOOD coffee.

Yes indeed!!

Grunt
05/10/2007, 09:29 PM
Disarrno & Coke on the rocks.

D-Rod
05/10/2007, 09:31 PM
A good glass of Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon.

andrewsmart
05/11/2007, 04:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=162491#post162491 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nagel
A Pint of Bass Ale. In a frosted mug of course.

we make that here and send it over.

not a fan myself.

i like a nice pear cider.

woodycb
05/11/2007, 05:10 AM
Crown & 7up or an adult chocolate milkshake - Kalua, rum, expresso bean shavings and chocolate ice-cream.

Aliie
05/11/2007, 06:25 AM
I'm really surprised noone said Saltwater.