PDA

View Full Version : I need the assistance of any Trekkies

horge
05/24/2001, 05:05 PM
Hello,

I just watched 'The Undiscovered Country' on tape, and there's a scene where the Enterprise is entering Klingon territory to rescue Kirk and McCoy:

Uhura, Chekov et. al. have to use a real voice (not the Universal Translator) in communicating with a Klingon outpost. Fine, they whip out some bulky Klingon dictionaries and stumble their tongue-tied way through it.

Problem is, this tape copy of the movie inexplicably doesn't have the freaking subtitles to what's being said, which apparently was supposed to come off funny.

Can anyone give me the lost translation of the exchange?

Thanks,
horge

PS: There're also a number of lines in Klingon delivered by Christopher Plummer and other advisers elsewhere in the film, and I'm only slightly less agitated at not having the subtitles to those :)

6-line
05/24/2001, 11:55 PM
Sorry Horge,
I quit watching Star Trek with the introduction of the movies and that pathetic 'Next Generation' series.
The only real Star Trek is with the Overacting James Kirk with the Lime Green tunic and the perfunctory 'soon to be dead' security guard in red.
:)

Icarus
05/25/2001, 09:23 AM
Horge,
Can't help with the translation, but there are books available that will teach you Klingon (seriously!). Even though I'm a major trekkie - that's a little out there for me. Along with dressing up as your fav trek character and going to a convention or a hundred.

6Line - The Next Generation RULES! Even though some of the episodes of the orig are ok, the "ripped shirt and blood from the left side of the mouth" fight scene is repeated over and over and over. Didn't they have any other fight music in the 60s????? Outside of Geek Boy (aka Wesley Crusher) and his mom, the new characters are way more interesting. One other point in two words - Special Effects. IMO :)

Joez
05/25/2001, 09:43 AM
You show your age Icarus! Both series had their good points. On the kinder-gentler side, I really liked the NG episode in which Piccard gets zapped onto a planet and lives a long, happy life. At the end of his life he wakes up on the Enterprise, and only a short time has passed. The beings on that planet brought him there so he could learn about them to tell the rest of civilization what they were like. Very sentimental, and well done. What's the name of that episode; I'd like to buy that one.

I'll check out the Klingon, Horge, on the tape (after my champorado & tuo this morning). I'll let you know, unless someone else reports first.

6-line
05/25/2001, 12:44 PM
Joez....
C'mon, that music is classic, here it goes...
Don don don don dondon don nah....
don don don don dondon dooooon non nah
Sort of like the classic Johhny Quest music...

But what they lacked in special effects they compensated for it with the intricate plots (C'mon, remember the tribbles and Abe Lincoln in space????)
Shatner displayed the most brilliant acting of his career (except forthose Priceline.com spots)

Now I watch TV for escape (what little I do watch of it, unless it's reef oriented) and I don't want to be lectured on TNG, seems like all they did was lecture and disguised life lessons in their thin plotlines. Let's see that baldheaded Picard pick up on one of those extraterrestrial green babes..... Then again, there's that Worf or Dorf character....;)

Icarus
05/25/2001, 02:02 PM
THAT'S the music! Great. Now I'll be humming it the rest of the day picturing Captain........James........T.........Kirk..........
of..........the............starship.................
Enterprise wrestling a Gorn (aka a big scary green stuffed animal :) eeek!!)

Worf...Dorf....or Microbrain as Q calls him. I know a few coworkers I'd like to be able to growl at and have them cower in fear!

Joez: That was one of my favorite episodes also...plus the follow up one where Picard (bald head and all gettin the girl!! there's hope for us MPB guys yet!!) falls for that planet scientist and he's talking about living a lifetime that he'll never have as Capt Picard. Great stuff!

Aquaman
05/25/2001, 04:18 PM
Horge! I have that tape at home, I will take a look and let you know what the klingon dialog was.

Vilas
05/25/2001, 09:22 PM
AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
OK, stop it. I grew up watching trek with my (late) father, original, next gen..I cried at the finale of voyager.
No, not the end. I'm a bigger loser. During the opening credits.

And, for those of you who've not dealt with the fact that it's possible, Picard is probably the sexiest man in the universe, bald or not.

:D

aragorn
05/25/2001, 09:36 PM
Joez,
I remember that episode too! Absolutely fabulous one. My fav as well!

Rin
05/25/2001, 10:45 PM
"The Inner Light" In an interview I saw right after the airing of the final episode, Patrick Stewart claimed it as his favorite, as well.

Pomacanthus1
09/02/2001, 06:04 PM
now, i know this is an old thread, but i cant help but notice that the guys question was never answered.

I dont have the translation but from what i remember it was along the lines of the Enterprise crew having such terrible klingon grammar that any intelligent comm officer (the klingon) would obviously know something was up, but i guess the fact that the comm officer did not was just a joke about how stupid klingons are.

and by the way, TNG is way better than the origional ST, but not movie wise. Insurection sucked, but First Contact was pretty good. Its kinda sad too that the DS9 and Voyager crews never got to make movies, who knows who good they could have been :(

Pomacanthus1
09/02/2001, 06:09 PM
oh, and by the way, i also think Star Wars sucks, is a total rip off of Star Trek, and that it is way to kiddieish:blown: Star Trek is much more intelligent than Star Wars:D

REEFGIRL1
09/02/2001, 08:10 PM
BTW, 9/8/01 is the 35th anniversary of the original series, SCI-FI is having a star trek chain reaction all day long.

cowboy
09/02/2001, 09:58 PM
i DON'T KNOW how u can even consider strar treck in the same leauge as STAR WARS
STAR WARS RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cowboy

aLittletank
09/02/2001, 11:13 PM
one visual to prove that
Star wars is the better of the two

Legha in the prisoner out fit at Jaba the huts hide out.

now thats the stuff all teen age boys dream about! :D

Allen

Pomacanthus1
09/03/2001, 12:45 PM
oh please, if i wanted to dream about a now old washed up actor (or superstar) i might as well dream about Madonna too.:uzi: :strooper:

:D