PDA

View Full Version : so far Good?

tedandbethanyreefers
09/14/2003, 10:35 PM
:confused: So far we have a 20g long setup with live sand, saltwater mix, emperor280 filter, Rio180 powerhead, and two damsels to begin cycling our tank. I need all the suggestions we can get. I want to do this the right way. I need suggestions on Live Rock. I will begin working in a fishstore tuesday I need to know before my urges urge me to buy any. Also need sugg. on lighting.

koj11
09/15/2003, 01:23 AM
Forgive me if this is snappy, but at the top of this forum where you posted, is a post entitled "read this before posting". Please go do this.

Nanook
09/16/2003, 12:39 AM
[welcome]

:confused: So far we have a 20g long setup with live sand, saltwater mix, emperor280 filter, Rio180 powerhead, and two damsels to begin cycling our tank. I need all the suggestions we can get. I want to do this the right way.

OK, I would first say that cycling your new saltwater aquarium with Damselfish is both outdated and detrimental to the fishes health. Cycling is something worth reading about, essentially, you start a cycle by introducing bacteria, which turns to ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate. The ammonia can burn the gills of the fish, possibly killing them during the cycle or shortening their lives. The nitrites are also toxic to your fish.

There are much better methods to cycling a saltwater tank. One of the most common and readily accepted, is by the addition of live rock to your tank. This will lead to a thorough nitrogen cycle in most cases. During this time, you will monitor ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. A good cycle usually runs 4-6 weeks. During this time, it is most important to NOT ADD ANYTHING to your tank. If you do add critters or fish during this time, they will most likely perish. Once your cycle has completed, I would recommend doing a 50% water change to your tank.

Following the cycle, you will need to monitor your tank's PH, temperature and salinity closely. Get a feel for your tank before adding livestock. Saltwater creatures are used to extremely stabile oceanic conditions, you will need to replicate this as close as possible for an optimal saltwater environment.

I need suggestions on Live Rock.

The usual amount of liverock added is anywhere from 3/4-1.5lb per gallon. There are many, many options for buying liverock. Liverock can be purchased from your local fish store (LFS) or online. You can buy liverock precured, fully cured or uncured. I would highly recommend doing a search on the various vendor's available online. The advantage to buying from your LFS is that you can SEE the rock you are getting, unfortunately, many LFS tend to gouge aquarist's by doubling or quadrupling the markup...some LFS do not do this, but many do take advantage.

I will begin working in a fishstore tuesday I need to know before my urges urge me to buy any.

Please READ READ READ before your URGES URGE YOU to buy any livestock. Careless, unresearched purchases are usually tallied in the death column. Pretend that the livestock is your child or pet dog, not just a fish or coral that doesn't matter. I would recommend reading on RC for several weeks to months before adding anything to your tank. I would also suggest returning the Damsel's that you have before they die.

Also need sugg. on lighting.

This will really depend on what kind of corals you are seeking to care for. Lighting is a highly personal area, I would first determine the types of corals, then ask questions and search the board before buying. Good luck in your endeavors.

Nanook