PDA

View Full Version : corals for flame angel

sportbiker29
09/14/2003, 09:43 PM
I have a 70g reef tank that has been up and going for about three months now. I currently have a yellow tang and have just added a flame angel. My tank has two different kinds of mushroom rocks along with a flower pot frag that was given to me for free. The flower pot was doing good for a couple of weeks however never comes all the way out anymore. This happened right around the same time I added the flame angel. He does seem a bit nippy and I know that they are considered by some not to be reef safe. He doesn't mess with the mushrooms at all.
I'm looking into getting a bubble coral and a toadstool coral and was hoping to get some info on weather the flame angel will leave them alone. Some suggestions on other corals would be great too since the fish comes first. I will adapt the tank around being able to keep him.

Laura D
09/15/2003, 02:47 PM
Sorry to say I think it is totally hit or miss.

My flame angel only likes acropora polyps as far as corals go which is something I have been told time and time again they are not prone to.

If he is leaving your mushrooms alone, there are many many kinds of mushrooms you can add.

Many folk's gonis decline anyway so it may be a coincedence, but if you think he is nipping your goni, the bubble may be a risk. If you decide to try it, have your flame very well fed with it's favorite food just before and during the introduction. Corals often slime up really bad when they are first put in a tank and this attracts some nibblers, so if you can keep your flame satiated during that time you may be OK.

Cnatto
09/15/2003, 08:41 PM
My flame angel used to nip at my bubble coral. It also used to nip at mushrooms and xenia until I realized I wanted corals more than that fish and returned him.

Dave

ignite1402
09/15/2003, 09:51 PM
i think i depends on the size of ur flame angel... indeed it is a lovely and beautiful fish with bright striking color.. when young they'll leave the corals alone.. but as it grows older, i believe it will start to nibble on corals such as bubble coral and also hammer.. i dunno wad extent it will nibble it till but seems fine in my pal's tank...

sportbiker29
09/15/2003, 11:30 PM
we got our flame angel at adult size and other than our clarkii clown, he's the co-boss. I figured these would be the answers since each flame angel seems to be different. Thanks to all the people who responded and I'm still open to hearing more stories on their experiences with this fish.

ignite1402
09/16/2003, 12:30 AM
hows ur clarkii clown? mine is terrorising all my other fish... it has already killed 6 fishes (2 doctor, 3 perc, 1 coral beauty) to feed it to its host ane... saddening... well still considering if i shld get a flame angel...

sportbiker29
09/16/2003, 02:13 AM
The flame angel and the clown leave eachother alone but the clown has a real temper. To be honest, I was thinking about starting a new post in the correct forum asking if anyone has encountered their clown betting up their anemone. My clarkii was tank raised and has not regards to his anemone. He actually steels the food I give the anemone and rams the heck out of him. The only thing that I see normal about their relationship is the gaurd dog mentallity he has for his anemone.
I'm just real torn about setting up the reef any further with the flame still in question. Thanks for the reply!

ignite1402
09/16/2003, 02:45 AM
ok... ask i posted early... you can give it a shot but it varies between fishes... some may be more hostile then others... all da best!!!