PDA

View Full Version : Keeping CO2 down with houseplants?

Vincerama2
09/14/2003, 01:14 PM
OK, I've read some "open a window if you have low pH". The theory being that it will reduce the levels of CO2 in your house. Well, how about just putting some houseplants near the tank? Sure it's not as effective as an open window, but how about in winter?

Just a thought...any opinions?

Vince

Dionaea
09/16/2003, 09:03 AM
To me, this sounds like a good idea, but most of my experience with CO2 and plants is in a planted tank.

I am under the assumption that the increase of CO2 is only beneficial to the plant if there is sufficient light to provide energy enough for it to respire (breathe) the CO2 in and O2 out (the opposite of us, but our energy comes from food). Now, if our houseplants are already receiving more light than they need for available CO2, then they should like having any extra thrown their way. However, if they are already getting all they can handle per the available light, there would be no change (no more CO2 uptake). In planted aquariums, I call this the Bottleneck. Excess light without sufficient CO2 (or vice versa) is useless.

Like I said my experience with CO2 is limited to aquarium plants (my terrestrial Carnivorous Plants are not supplemented with CO2), but the physiology should hold true. It is easier to monitor the effects in an aquarium because I can see O2 bubbles coming out of my plant leaves as they respire. HTH.

-James

BonsaiNut
09/16/2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Vincerama2
Well, how about just putting some houseplants near the tank?

Good idea, tough to execute. If your house has high CO2 levels, you would have to FILL it with plants in order to have enough greenery to constantly supress the CO2. Picture this - imagine that you were trapped underwater in a small glass bubble. How many plants would you have to have with you in order to not suffocate? A LOT :) Forget reef-keeping - you will spend all your time tending plants.

Better to just crack a window and send all your CO2 out to Farmer Jone's 500 acre corn field.

flaunt
09/16/2003, 10:15 AM
Shouldn't macro algae help reduce C02 in the aquarium?

musicsmaker
09/16/2003, 11:49 AM
Even if it did suck up enough CO2 to be effective, it would only be doing it in the daytime. At nighttime (no light) the plants would be PRODUCING CO2.

Vincerama2
09/16/2003, 11:51 AM
I guess when the lights are on, anything photosynthetic should help!

Well, I guess we breathe a lot more than a plant filled house can handle, but it couldn't hurt, right? Plants are nice anyway!

I guess that is the theory of having a fuge with macro algae in it running on either a reverse photoperiod, or straight 24 light!

Oh, and opening a window is not always practical, especially when it is snowing out! (Luckily, I live in San Francisco...)

V

flaunt
09/16/2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Vincerama2

I guess that is the theory of having a fuge with macro algae in it running on either a reverse photoperiod, or straight 24 light!

V

Or if you were growing macro that needs a period of darkness run two refugiums on opposite photoperiods (you could even overlap them by several hours). I'd try that way before filling my house up with plants! heh

Oh, and I'd probably acquire a good O2 meter for the tank if I were that concerned about it.

If all else fails, just turn your tank into an outdoor reef pond :p

seven ephors
09/16/2003, 12:45 PM
O2 meter is pretty expensive for most people. Certainly does not justify the cost if you think how often do we need to use it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/19/2003, 03:35 PM
Adding limewater is a fine way to raise the pH and reduce "CO2" in situations where the tank has excess CO2 for any reason.

Vincerama2
09/19/2003, 04:02 PM
Ahhhh limewater! Is there anything it can't do?

;)

Heck, I like it so much, I'm gonna make me one of those there fancy kalkwasser reactor thingies!

V

Mad Scientist
09/19/2003, 11:24 PM
I think Co2 problems come about because of a lack of cirulation, not a build up in the room. Even a huge tank is not going raise Co2 in even a small room. You need to blow the COs with powerheads and fans.

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/20/2003, 07:25 AM
I think Co2 problems come about because of a lack of cirulation, not a build up in the room.

I've seen plenty examples of both types. The tank does not raise CO2 in the room, it's the people breathing out tons of CO2 in a tightly closed home that does it. Unvented gas stoves are another big source.

marduc
09/20/2003, 10:59 AM
Geez this thread should be merged with the one here (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=242856).

tpeterson70
09/25/2003, 11:51 AM
I used to have a similar problem. Ph stayed around 7.7. I have a new home that my wife and I live in with our 6 kids. Randy took quite a bit of explaining before he convinced me it was CO2 levels. I have lots of plants (Tropicals) in the room with the reef but it didn't help. What I ended up doing was running a tube from the ridge vent in the attic throught the wall to the skimmer inlet on all my saltwater tanks. This really helped. Then I added a Kalk reactor, no more problem.