PDA

View Full Version : New 120g Up and Going!!

Nanook
05/24/2001, 12:43 AM
Well, after several hours of grunt work and sweat, my 120g is up and running, minus the protein skimmer. The only problems I encountered were: leaking ball valve, missed teflon tape on one fitting (and I triple-checked all my fittings), venturi on Lifereef protein skimmer not working.

Jeff from Lifereef said he would send me one out on Monday. I ordered an extra 45 pounds of cured Fiji LR from Premium Aquatics yesterday, it was good that I did, because I ended up needing it. I asked for large, gnarly pieces and that is exactly what Jason gave me.

Another concern was the Durso standpipes, at first gurgling a lot, but that was corrected by drilling the hole larger.

A problem that I have now is how to hook up the auto-topoff system. With the Durso standpipes, my water level in the overflows is pretty high. Where or how can I do a topoff system on this setup??

My tank water is pretty cloudy from all the fine sand, but that should clear up in a few days. I have two triangular mounds of LR with a slanted channel between them. The mountain on the left is larger than the right. My setup is really pretty quiet, and I still need to put the hood on when I get it.

Thanks for all your help along the way, my ideas that I have gathered here are looked at with much skepticism by my fellow helper. He couldn't believe the DSB stuff, or 80 degree temps, or bristleworms and Nassarius snails, or leaving hermits out, etc. etc. :smilebar:

:D Nanook :D

johnny
05/24/2001, 08:24 AM
well i can already see a huge mistake you made.....

you didn't post any pictures for us to see! :D

I don't know how you managed to do everything in one night... get all the correct pvc parts etc... you either had a stockpile laying around or you put it all together before you tank came :) Either way, good job and get some pics for us to see! :D

Nick

Nanook
05/28/2001, 11:21 PM
Yeah Johnny, a camera and scanner are on the list, but still a ways down. Meanwhile I have a regular camera that will have to do. I had the tank all plumbed and ready to go for a while, I was just waiting for the right time. Fortunately, I had a couple weeks off between classes to get it all together.

My protein skimmers venturi from Lifereef didn't work, so I am waiting for a new one by mail tomorrow. I had a bad ball valve that leaked at the handle and I forgot to tape one threaded fitting with teflon :rolleye1: Aside from those things, the tank setup went really well. I have sore back muscles from lifting and carrying lots of sand and live rock.

I'll try to get the camera and scanner here in the near future, I need to save a little cash and do a little research about what to buy. How's your tank coming along?

nanook

johnny
05/29/2001, 08:03 AM
Yeah I know what you mean about the back muscle... I didn't get to work on my tank at all over the long weekend, because I was stuck moving my gf into our new apartment.... it's amazing how much STUFF some people can pack into a small room. The new apartment is 3 times her old one and the boxes still filled the place (we haven't even moved my stuff yet... except my tank). Anyways though, I just need to glue my plumbing together and get some locline and I'm pretty set. I've had the sand and salt water in it for the last 2 weeks (still hasn't settled) and I'll be ordering the LR this week.

It shall be an interesting few weeks :)

Good luck with your new tank and save up some money... I love my new digital camera!

Nick