PDA

View Full Version : STUPID IMPULSE MISTAKE

WINDHAM-REEF
05/23/2001, 10:13 PM
went to lfs to get some food and saW the prettiest ocellaris clown which i have wanted since i set up MY tank. so i bought it knowing full well i had an aggressive tomato clown in my 110 gal tank( i always looked but never took one home) the guy was telling me things i knew were untruths just to make the sale. the next thing i knew i was home with this awesome looking fish and begging the tomato to be nice. the ocellarus hasn't come out from the rocks and every time he trys the tomato attacks full force. i told the lfs i would take him back if it didn't work out but i never tried netting a fish with all the live rock in it. he is eating ok but just need some ideas. i was told if i added more ocellarus this would work. HELP.

Agu
05/23/2001, 10:39 PM
Windham,
Sorry, but one of them has to go!! Clowns barely tolerate one of their own species, let alone a clown of another species, esp an aggressive tomato clown vs an ocellaris. It's time to decide which clown to keep. Adding more ocellaris will not work imho. The tomato will be easier to catch as she's out and about. The ocellaris will probably hide in the rock until it dies from abuse or starvation.

You're in a bad situation, and as I see it your only choice is to remove the tomato clown.

Agu

O'Man
05/23/2001, 10:57 PM
What AGU said.

If you have had the tomato for a while(so it is fairly tame), try shutting off all water flow and sprinkling some flakes into the tank. When it comes up to eat net-it. Pay attention because it will more than likely only make itself vulnerable for 1 to 2 attempts.

Good luck.

smiller
05/24/2001, 06:38 AM
I have used The Trap to catch a fish before. It is an acrylic box with a sliding door sold by some stores. If your Tomato is an agressive eater you can get him with it. But an ocellaris is not usually the type to swim inside one of these.

Adam
05/24/2001, 07:26 AM
Go fishing!!

No kidding. I have removed fish from damsels to tangs from my tank by using tiny BARBLESS hooks baited with a little mysis, brine, frozen formula 1 etc.

Have a net ready, as they will shake themselves loose.

HTH

Adam

johnny
05/24/2001, 07:53 AM
There have been people who have succesfully kept more than one species of clown... however... usually the less aggressive is added first not second (not your case). Also, for some reason... skunk clowns tend to be an exception to the rule. I'm not sure if I'd try another type of clown with a tomato or maroon clown though..... they're just plain nasty and I have the scars to prove it!

Nick