PDA

View Full Version : Caulerpa Ban Update and Other News

MaryHM
05/23/2001, 08:48 PM
I've just updated http://www.reefsource.com with the latest information on the Caulerpa ban and some other news articles pertaining to the industry/hobby.

Agu
05/24/2001, 09:22 AM
^

Niven
05/24/2001, 10:12 AM
How many of you out there have had your tanks setup for what seems a life time, and you move a few things around and all of a sudden you have some really cool red caulerpa growing in your tank.
Doesn't this come from spores that have been in unliveable conditions until you released them into the water column and they began to thrive. Can't these unruley, hideous;)species do the same?
The California legislature will have to ban all importation of LR to rid our world of this killer algae. Shouldn't we also worry about that?
Gareth

gas4544
05/24/2001, 10:40 AM
Mary,
Thank you for leading the fight and for the encouraging update. AS Mary indicates, now is not the time to for us to take it easy, though. Keep applying pressure to the California legislature to do what makes sense.
Print a copy of the petition from http://www.reefsource.com/currentcampaign.htm
and bring it to the manager of your LFS's. Explain to them that this threat is for real. Now is the time to defend our priveleges as saltwater hobbyists by educating others.
Mary, next week I will have a petition to send to you that I dropped off at my local fish store.

sculpin
05/24/2001, 01:15 PM
There is no such thing as red Caulerpa. Red algae (Rhodophyta) tend to live in lower light areas and thus are commonly discovered on the back sides of rocks. In my experience, Rhodophyta are less likely to be aggressive than most of the green algae. The only aggressive species I have run across are in the genus Hypnea, which, interestingly enough, are grown commercially as an ingredient in agar and a variety of other products.

Mike

Niven
05/24/2001, 01:35 PM
What I was implying was that there are spores or seeds or some form of that life that can be very small that can come in on LR that may not be seen for a long period of time. I never purchased any caulerpa, but I have a ton of it in my tank.
Gareth