PDA

View Full Version : Which Sand should I get?

PupChow
05/23/2001, 08:21 PM
I have been looking for Southdown with no success, so I shopped around for an alternative... I really like Nature's Ocean's Marine White Sand (REALLY FINE grain) and also the Samoa Pink Sand (not sure, looks close to .5mm - 2mm?); also the intstant cycle reef sand (even with water in bag! Doesn't really like the sand color though...). I am planning to create a 4" sand bed in a 20g extra high tank... which kind of sand would you recommand? Btw, I don't have CarbiSea with the proper size, only 1mm - 2mm =(

Mako
05/23/2001, 08:33 PM
Have you checked this (http://www.purearagonite.com/facts.html) out yet?? This is what I finally decided to go with after a lot of tries at getting SD. The size of the grains is just what the Dr. ordered. As in Ron!

ChrisIsBored
05/23/2001, 09:56 PM
Check http://www.reefland.com, I just ordered 8 bags from them. Scott gave me a good deal too so I can't complain much besides the fact that if I were living in the NE of the US i'd get it cheaper. But oh well.

It would have cost me an extra $90 to get the stuff from purearagonite.com though.

PupChow
05/23/2001, 10:04 PM
Ahh, sounds good... I wonder how much the shipping is for a 40lb bag of southdown is tho!

And the sand Chuck recommanded also looks really nice... (I like white sand =b ) does anybody else have experience with that brand...?

Mako
05/23/2001, 11:39 PM
For me it was the same price for either product delivered to the door. I think Scott quoted me 27 a bag delivered and purearagonite was 27.50 a bag delivered. Have heard good things about the latter product so I opted for it over the SD. I like the fact that the grain size is sorted so you are getting only 0.18 to 1.2mm. See how it works out.

JimReef
05/24/2001, 06:41 AM
The Pure Aragonite at http://www.purearagonite.com is all I've been using for the past year or so for the following reasons:

I like the color and grain sizes.

I like the fact that IT IS REALLY FOR AQUARIUMS.

I LIKE THE PRICE.

PLUS they usually give you a free bag when you order at least 5 bags...when get your order they always give you a coupon for another free bag.

I've never have been told it was out of stock and always get it quickly.

Let's face it... shipping anything that weighs 40 to 50 lbs is going to cost us from whatever company you order from. Thats the problem with shipping. I just like this product and their customer service.

Aquamans Reef
07/16/2001, 07:10 PM
I read somewhere on this list that jason from PA also has some not sure though. Joe

Grumpy Vet
07/16/2001, 07:20 PM
Yo....

Pupster......are you outta your mind??? don't pay shipping on southdown........if you live in Rockville - it is around you - you just gotta find the HD that stocks it.....

I have found several....2 in Baltimore....1 in Columbia (2 miles from my house) ........the stuff is prevelant in our neck of the woods......

Check out the topic of "Everything you wanted to know about Southdown" someone revisited in this thread list above.

GV