PDA

View Full Version : Wingate sucks!- what about another program?

DedHed
05/23/2001, 07:50 PM
Wingate is a program that is supposed to let two networked computers both access the internet at the same time.

well, i downloaded their program and installed it per their FOUR PAGE PRINTOUT OF INSTRUCTIONS. still my second computer can't browse! i try everything else i know to do. and last, i call their tech support. after waiting FORTY FIVE MINUTES, some guy comes on and sounds eager to help me. OH YEAH during the hold music the message says that since i had to wait more than TWENTY minutes i qualify for a discount on the program(i was evaluating it). can you beleive it?

so anyway, he walks me through all the steps i've already been through. i knew more than him and two days ago i didn't know anything about networks! the tech guy said that my network card isn't working properly. and that i should contact someone on my area who specializes in networks and get them to fix the network card!

so, this guy can't help me and blames it on my hardware, which is obviously working properly cause my two computers have been succesfully networked already!

QUESTION: is there another program LIKE Wingate that i can D/L that allows internet sharing?

Snailman
05/23/2001, 08:29 PM
If you have a Linux machine it will do IP masquerading for older Windows machines or other Linux machines. If your machines are Windows 98 or Windows ME or Windows 2000 it is built in.

Q-ball
05/23/2001, 08:32 PM
Or you could setup your main computer as a proxy server for the other pc. Just give the 2nd pc the ip address of the proxy & yer good to go.
Linux? ewwwwwwwwwwwww:D:D:D

Q!!!

Panda
05/30/2001, 11:14 PM
Win 98, Win ME, and Win 2K all have built in sharing program that Snailman refered to. Do a search for a thing called Internet Connection Sharing. If you don't find it, go to the control panel and click on Add/Remove Programs and go from there. You'll need a windoze CD to install it or you can probably download it from Microshaft's web site

Dave

DedHed
05/31/2001, 12:28 AM
thanks

i had to go and buy a hub anyway. that makes it MUCH easier to network. now i can share a printer, files and the internet!

thanks
Dennis

pillions
05/31/2001, 02:00 AM
I use WinRoute Lite (www.winroute.com). It's super easy to setup and configure. My Broadband modem gets one IP and all the computers on my ethernet based network can access "the internet."

For power users, it also allows me to use my corporate VPN software w/o problems.