PDA

View Full Version : Is it dangerous to run an extension cord from a surge protector?

JSC
05/23/2001, 06:44 PM
I am setting up another tank in a built in cabinet and I would like to run an extension cord off of a surge protector to plug in two timers. Is this a bad idea or just fine. I dont want to do anything that would be hazerdous. Thanks

[Edited by JSC on 05-23-2001 at 09:45 PM]

Greg Moore
05/23/2001, 07:20 PM
Wouldn't make any difference if it were surge protected or not for safety. It is more of an issue on load capacity of the cord, whether it is grounded, and will some one either trip over it, or will it get walked on.

Greg

gialitt
05/23/2001, 07:23 PM
i would defintely get a larger surge protector.

on a reef i suggest going with an industrial grade unit that has ability to electrically isolate each of the items plugged in, from one another. one that has received good reviews - try the tripplite isobar8 - it will cost $30 or so at local computer/office supply store (like staples) but will protect you from lightning strikes and nasty surges. also will keep those pumps, motors and electronic ballasts from polluting the other sensitive equipment in the house, including say, your prized home theater.

an added bonus is the steel casing that provides effective shielding and the mountings necessary to attach it to your stand in such a way so as to prevents water from dripping, running into or flooding the mains outlet. the last thing you want is to plop any surge protector on the floor behind the aquarium. i always used to use plain extensions around the house until we had huge power surge that took out many smaller appliances and telephones during a storm. since then, have been using good ones on all valuable stuff, including the reef, and even when our house was hit by lightning, nothing was taken out except for an alarm clock plugged into a cheap surge protector (the drug store kind). another reason to avoid extensions also is that you will be adding unsafe load to those typically throwaway surge devices that will ultimately place your expensive reef inhabitants and fancy equipment you saved up for months, at risk.

do make sure you have a ground fault interrupter (home depot, about $15) installed on each outlet that runs tank stuff to prevent electrical shock/house damage when your tank lights (inevitably) fall in your perfect salinity and ph water, despite your best efforts to grab it :-)

JSC
05/23/2001, 08:44 PM
Thanks. Actually this will be for a freshwater planted tank as I have enough with my one large reef. I saw some of Amano's tank pics and it gave me the itch to set one up.
To clarify I only have room and plug space to run one powerstrip and it will be bolted inside the cabinet above and to the side of the tank. I do not have room to run the two timers off the powerstrip just because they are too big to fit on the strip so I will need to mount them to the other side hopefully via extension. There will not be much of a electrical load, the entire tank will run off 4 things: heater, internal filter and two double strip lights on timers.
I am just wondering if it is dangerous in an electrical load fire kind of way. I realize the dangers of dropping it in etc, but I thought I heard you were not supposed to run extensions off of powerstrips. Can anyone confirm or deny.
Thanks

Agu
05/23/2001, 10:50 PM
JSC,
I can't confirm or deny as an electrical engineer. But, I've been running two 400w mh off a powerstrip plugged into a timer which is plugged into another powerstrip. All electronics are rated for 15 amps, as is the outlet. It's been working fine for over a year this way. In my limited electrical knowledge, you shouldn't have a problem as long as all extensions are rated at the same amps as the outlet.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me so I can fix my system also.

Agu

JSC
05/24/2001, 12:41 AM
Thanks Agu, I think I ran one of my old tanks about 7-8 years ago with that set-up but Im not sure and I just want to be safe as now I have my own house, family, dogs etc to worry about. The last thing I want to do is start a fire!
Cheers!