PDA

View Full Version : growing macroalgae to battle bubble ..how??

SWANN
05/23/2001, 06:07 PM
Hello everyone...

I have a 90gal, 3 months old..
specs:
4-6inch sandbed(have added to detravoire kits w/extra worms)
AquaC EV 150 skimmer
130lb live rock
2-400watt MH(10k)
3-48" Super atinic VHO
15-20 GAL trickle wet/dry turned into sump
(replaced bio balls with live rock)

Water Chem: last test taken about a week ago came out all about normal..nitate=0 nitrite=0 phosphate=0-.8 alk=2.8

I'm using a 4 stage RO unit for water. So far my tank looks great! EXCEPT for yes...the spreading bubble algae. I just spent the last hour picking it. I did go out and buy an Emarald crab last week, but its still to soon to tell if he's eating it.(hard to find him too)
Anyways, I read a thread about growing macro algae's in my sump to help battle the bubble algae?? Can any of you help explain how this is done? and what i do/buy to get it started..lighting ???? Can I use my current sump??

Thanks Swann

puff the magic fish
05/24/2001, 06:39 AM
It really depends on how your sump is set-up. If there is a large chamber in it that is being unused, you could just put in some sand, a handfull of Calurpa, and hang a light over it. Just about any Flourecent will work, it does not take a lot of light to keep Macro algae.

If there is no place to put the algae in your sump, you could buy a 10gal tank, fill with sand and macro algae, and light. Then it is just a matter of plumbing it to your sump. There are a few methods that you can use; you can place it at a higher level than your sump, divert some of the water from your main tanks overflow into it, and allow it to gravity feed into your sump via an overflow. Or just place it next to your sump, join the two with a u-tube, and divert water into it.

puff

SWANN
05/24/2001, 03:50 PM
I do have a big chamber..but do i have to put sand in it?

SCRUBBER
05/25/2001, 12:26 AM
When you say 'pick at it", what do you mean? Do you actually take the Live rock out and "pick at it" or do you
"pop" it while it is the aqaurium?
If you actually "pop" the velonia(bubble) algae while it is the tank you are actually spreading it through the aquarium.
The liquid inside the algae is how it stays alive. After it matures it pops. This is how this particular algae spreads and make sure that this strand never dies! I would take the rock out then remove the undesireable algae. Popping bubble algae will only make it spread faster.
Algae is not aggressive. It is not a preditor. It is a nutrient manager in the aquarium. Algae does not attack coral. Bubble algae does not either.
People say that algae is eating/smothering their coral.
When this situation occurs, it is the imune system of the coral that is actually breaking down do to any kind of stress. IT then release nutrints into the water. Algae feeds on the nutrients as the coral begins to decay.

grow corals in captivity for reintroduction to wild.