PDA

View Full Version : Need something to elevate skimmer in sump, concrete blocks?

JSC
05/23/2001, 12:42 PM
My new bullet 2 is too high to elevate outside my basement sump as I have the sump on an old chest freezer and if I put it outside the top of skimmer reaches the ceiling. I need to put it in the sump elevated on something. I use one concrete block in the sump already to elevate return pump, its been in there for about 9 months or so but I have heard that concrete can raise the PH and my PH is already stable at 8.4 so I cant afford for it to go any higher. Any other ideas on sturdy things to use? Thanks.

AHAB
05/23/2001, 12:48 PM
Howdy,
How about making a box out of PVC pipe?
If glued it should be strong enough.You can make it with the right angles and scrap pipe.

AHAB

JSC
05/23/2001, 01:09 PM
Thats an excellent idea. Thanks!

Agu
05/23/2001, 01:21 PM
Or some of the glass blocks, one may not be large enough.

Agu

ps, I take it you gave up on the pos skimmer ;)

vanguard
05/23/2001, 01:28 PM
I took a five gallon bucket (like the kind bulk salt comes in) and cut it to size.

That should do the trick.

JSC
05/23/2001, 01:53 PM
Thanks all.

Agu, yea I just could not get that mag to work no matter what. The skimmer sucked anyway but I did not want to spend the $$'s for a new one. I dont know if you saw my post about the bullet I just got off e-bay that the riser was busted off or not. I just cant win these days! Oh well its fixable but whether UPS will pay the 100 bucks insurance is yet to be seen. They came yesterday to pick it up even though they told me they do not take the broken part back when I called it in. I told them that unless they were going to pay me 200 bucks for a new riser that I need it. So now they are going to send an inspector to my house to check it out. Fat chance I will see a check I think.

zerrez
05/23/2001, 02:10 PM
Easier than that just get some eggcrate from home depot for 9.00 and make a stand form it. Very easy to break/cut down the lines and then use silicone or nylon tie wraps to hold it together. Totally non-toxic and easy to make the exact size shape you need.

My two cents anyway