PDA

View Full Version : 96W PC Actinic from AHSupply: Anyone have one? Is it good?

Nathan
05/23/2001, 08:28 AM
I'm considering buying more actinic lighting and was thinking about using PC actinic. Supposeably the PC actinic nowdays is really actinic and not just "blue".

Do you know how the PC actinic colour compares to the true flourescent tube (NO or VHO) colour? Does it have that same funky "blacklight-ish" glow to it?

Anyone have any opinions about the 96W kit from AHSupply?

Thanks!

Spectral_Ranger
05/23/2001, 08:40 AM
I've had one of their 96W kits running for some time, as well as a 55W. As far as the kit goes, it's great. Ballast is small and remains somewhat cool, wiring is very simple, good reflector, and inexpensive. I just got one of the 03 actinics two weeks ago from them to replace one of my 6700K bulbs. I've never run NO or VHO over my reef so I can't give you a direct comparison, but I do like the supplemental color it provides my 6500K Iwasaki. I use the actinic alone as a sunrise/sunset bulb, and my Trachyphllia, Pachyresis, Euphyllia divisa, and everything else green fluoresces intensely, very much like a "black light". I'm happy with it!

Chris

johnny
05/23/2001, 08:43 AM
Carlos has a side by side type of comparison between VHO and PCs... for what it's worth he went with the PCs.

Nick

Nathan
05/23/2001, 08:58 AM
Johnny,

You wouldn't happen to have a link for those photos would you? I checked out his web site but it says that "I do not think that I will be supplementing the lights with actinics"...

http://www.carlosreef.com/equipment.htm#lighting

I don't see any comparison photos on his site.

-Nathan

[Edited by Nathan on 05-23-2001 at 10:03 AM]

ckeadle
05/23/2001, 10:20 AM
I have a 2x96watt kit from AHsupply.com and like it alot. The reflectors are really good. Customer service is good. I have the 7100k blue bulb and like it alot but would like to get the true actinic....do they make it in a 96watt yet?

Spectral_Ranger
05/23/2001, 10:29 AM
I busted my 96W 7100K bulb, so that's why I had to get a new one. Decided to go with the .03 because it was available. Huge difference! Don't know if I'd throw out an existing 7100K to replace it, but next time you need to replace burnt out bulbs I'd definitely go for it if I were you.

ckeadle
05/23/2001, 10:48 AM
Where did you get the true 03 at 96watts?

Thanks

johnny
05/23/2001, 10:56 AM
http://www.carlosreef.com/bulb_comparison.htm

I thought it showed VHO comparison on it but it doesn't... it shows PC comparisons.

Nick

Spectral_Ranger
05/23/2001, 05:42 PM
I got the 96W 03 actinic at AH Supply! The website isn't coming up right now so can't give you a link. They don't make it obvious that it's an 03 actinic, but it is (says it on the lamp I got). Give Kim a call to assuage your fears, he's always happy to help.