PDA

View Full Version : Best fish for a 12G Nano Cube

Csug
09/10/2003, 09:30 PM
I just picked up a JBJ Nanocube (They advertise as a 12G, but it only holds 9). It is going to house live rock, mushrooms, some leathers and shrimp. Anyone have experience or advice as to what type of small fish would be happy in a small space?
Thanks

ozadars
09/11/2003, 07:22 AM
Probobly a pair of small gobies would be perfect. If i were u i wouldnt choose something common like royal gramme, percula or firefish, if i were u i would select a pair of rare gobies, dont have to be very rare, just uncommon, maybe u can breed them? Also choose the ones which has symbiotic relations w/ your corals like clingfish is a very nice fish for your tank i guess

joetbs
09/11/2003, 10:31 AM
Are you referring to the Urchin or Yellow Striped Clingfish? If so they're symbiotic relationship is usually with Urchins, Gorgonians, or SPS coral such as Porites. They're hard to feed prepared foods, unless you feed small foods such as zooplankton and cyclopeeze. I wouldn't buy one based on the fact that close to no one has kept them in captivity. They might be easy, but I think it would be safe to say they need conditions similar to pipefish. Lots of bugs, well established sandbed, not too much flow, etc. If we ever do a Live aquaria group buy in my reef club I might consider getting one for a nano. Definetely not a beginner's fish.

As for gobies, go with a pair of Gobiosoma species. Neons, sharknose, tiger(macrodon), red head, green banded. They're all hardy. If you look around there are some others from the Florida region that are colorful and similar in care. You might also be able to put a pair of Blue Eye Cardinals(Apogon Leptacanthus) Get your LFS to get a pair, shouldn't be more than $30-40 for the pair. Stay small and would be nice in the tank, especially under actinics.

HTH
joe

ozadars
09/11/2003, 01:53 PM
I didnt kept but dont think clingfish are hard to feed. I talked some people who knows about this fish. They eat frozen food i think, also if there isnt any urchin, sps or gorgonian, they will sure gonna live in unstingable corals like some of the leathers. They are not absolutely like pipefish, they just look like shrimp fish but just the apperreance... also clingfish was just an example, he will choose the fish and needs to do a research before buying one so he will be aware of what he is buying.

Also, although clingfish's diet isnt like pipefish, there are lots of people who keeps pipefish

hcs3
09/11/2003, 03:11 PM
a nice school of sohal surgeonfish would prolly be attractive.

ok, just joking :)

As for gobies, go with a pair of Gobiosoma species. Neons, sharknose, tiger(macrodon), red head, green banded. They're all hardy. If you look around there are some others from the Florida region that are colorful and similar in care.

:thumbsup:

joetbs
09/11/2003, 03:12 PM
I was saying they were like pipefish due to their very small mouth. I've talked to one person who's kept them, and they said they never saw the fish eat prepared foods. It would be hit or miss, but it would still be hard to feed. I have a hard enough time keeping my garden eel fed and he can eat mysis shrimp. Also, they usually don't attach to soft corals in the wild from what I've read, I was just saying they would probably prefer something that didn't wave in the current. It's like a clownfish and xenia, the clown doesn't know its not an anemone.

joe

Csug
09/11/2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by hcs3
a nice school of sohal surgeonfish would prolly be attractive.

5-10 Surgonfish was my original intent, Either that or a couple of manta's ;)

Since I have a pair of clowns n my larger tank. I think I'll go with the Gobii

Thanks to all for your input. I'll post some pics as I get this one set up.

ok, just joking :)

:thumbsup: :eek1: :eek1:

technoshaman
09/11/2003, 04:20 PM
I got one of these a few weeks back. It currently houses some mushrooms, feather dusters, ricordea and for fish , a barnacle blenny.

supernip
09/12/2003, 09:28 AM
u could do an angler. or a leaf scorpion. both very sexy choices