PDA

View Full Version : Check this picture out...

6-line
05/22/2001, 09:07 PM
here it goes, I'm trying to post this one....

http://toddsreef.homestead.com/files/foxface.jpg

Nagel
05/22/2001, 09:13 PM
His name wouldn't be "SPIKE", would it?
nice picture btw....

Breef
05/22/2001, 09:42 PM
Todd,owning a fish like that is like owning a piece of property,your only its caretaker for awhile.The foxface gets up over twelve inches and larger. I've seen schools of them in a giagantic tank in moody gardens in Galveston,Texas.Hundredsofthousands of gallons.

Theo
05/22/2001, 11:22 PM
nice pic. Pretty soon our livestock are gonna slap on sunglasses and demand royaltee contracts!!

Cheers
Joe

Tommy
05/22/2001, 11:40 PM
6 line
Thats one cool lookin picture!

6-line
05/23/2001, 12:13 AM
Thanks all,

Breef--I researched all of the genus Siganus prior to chosing the Siganus unimaculatus (one-spot foxface). Of all the Foxface genus, this species will not grow to the size of the S. magnifica, S. bipsi, S. vulpinis. Some of the aforementioned species will attain the size you've mentioned, but the S. unimaculatus will only max out around 6-7 inches, give or take. This is from what I've read and heard from my pre-purchase investigation.

Adrian
05/23/2001, 01:19 AM
Very cool shot:)

Breef
05/23/2001, 01:24 PM
Excellent,Todd,I am truely glad that I posted my response now more than ever.Seeing as how I love the type of fish and would like to acquire one in the near future for my 275gal when I get it up to now.So in response I will write down the species name to file and in the future will go through the steps you did which are the only proper ones. Your pictures are terrific and I enjoyed them very much,Thanks.

Al
05/23/2001, 01:29 PM
Todd - you have to put a grounding probe on that tank!
Just kidding. It's a very nice shot

Breef
05/23/2001, 01:54 PM
In my narrow mindedness I didn't even consider the fact that the foxface consisted of more than one species,seeing as how the name foxface is a common name and all the thought I give to common names causing misunderstanding this all goes to showing how ironic things can be.

6-line
05/23/2001, 08:37 PM
Thanks again,
Breef--I understand you exactly. One would assume that there was only one species of the Foxface genus, especially given the name. But there are kinds without spots, kinds two different shades of color and kinds that get really large.
I admit that my Siganus unimaculatus (also known as Lo unimaculatus, whereas 'Lo' replaces Siganus in all species)will probably outgrow my 55 even if it maxes out at 7 inches, I plan to eventually upgrade. I replaced my Yellow Tang with him back in January because I felt the Yellow was getting too large for the tank despite the fact it wasn't much larger than the Foxface. The Tang, IMO, is much more skittish and territorial as well as faster than the Foxface, thus my reasoning that it would do fine in my 55, at least better than the Yellow Tang.
I love this fish and it's in all of it's glory when those venomous spines on the anal and dorsal fins are expanded--my favorite moment--caught on film.

Breef
05/23/2001, 10:13 PM
I'm mighty glad you did share the picture.It's a winner,you should put it in one of the contests. I also went back to the Moody Garden site and checked out the stats on the tank that I was talking about and its for Carribean display,with snappers of several groups and many other thousands of animals,but the corals in that tank I misstook for live are fake.The tanks size is actually ONE MILLION GALLIONS. Some of the other tanks they have are with live corals. The total capacity of all the tanks is One and a half million gallons. I have some pictures of the place and the tunnel you go through with the tank around and above you. They are not digital though regretfully.Wished I worked there.

Reef Maniac
05/23/2001, 10:37 PM
Nice Pic! What type of camera is that?

6-line
05/23/2001, 10:50 PM
It's an Olypmus D-600L
I just bought it used off my brother.
Needless to say, I'm a picture takin' fool.
I've been gradually working on my site. The fish, half the coral and tank page has been update.

Thanks

Reef Engineer
05/24/2001, 12:03 AM
Todd,

Big deal on the picture - I stuck my finger in an electrical socket and looked that way for a week. :D Oh, what the heck, it was a good picture :D

Glad to see you're liking the new (used) camera. I'm pretty fond of it myself.

Randy