PDA

View Full Version : clown fish

estest
05/22/2001, 08:33 PM
I have two tomato clowns in my 60 gallon tank now and I would like two percula clowns also. Will they get along or not??? And should I get more rock and anemones first if I do get them?

superfly
05/22/2001, 09:22 PM
Hello-
It's really not a good idea to mix different species of clowns-In all likelyhood they would dislike each other intensely(death). I would stick with your tomato clowns....They are very nice looking fish and perhaps you could get them to spawn.
Tiny tomatos are really cute.
-superfly

WINDHAM-REEF
05/22/2001, 10:08 PM
i did it yestarday and have been sick to my stomach. the tomato (who was there 1st) has punished the other clown to where he will not move from a whole in the live rocks and i have a 110 gallon tank. i have been trying to catch either one to get one out but no luck. some one told me if i get more percula that out numbering the tomato will do the trick. i don't know. it's not a good idea and i knew it i was just hoping we could all get along

Ferkinz
05/22/2001, 10:24 PM
I've got two false percs, and three tomato's in my 90. All is good. Everyone lives in harmony. The big female tomato lives in the BTA. The others make a nice bed in the sand at lights out. Been that way for a long time.

Ferkinz

Neal358
05/22/2001, 10:28 PM
i was down at the nyc public aquarium this april they hade a realy large tank 500-600 i musof had 20-30 clown fish 4 or 5 difrent speciec in it and they all looked like they were geting along the idea about adding more i think would work but you meed a biger tank

skeeter
05/23/2001, 07:40 AM
Typically the dominant clown will out rival the others. Since the Tomatos were in there first the dominant Tomato will harass the Percs. Also the Tomato's have been known to be very aggressive if they are introduced into an aquarium before other fish of differnt species. Best to remove the dominant Tomato and place into another tank until the others get a chance to acculmate themselfs and set up a zone for the group. Then return the Tomato back to the tank but only after the others have had a chance to setup a territory.

Some people use Anomone's to settle a Clown dispute, but with Tomatos they will steal the host from the percs, even if you have more than one.

Good luck

slimytadpole
05/23/2001, 11:25 AM
Don't do it. Some people have had luck with this, but that seems to be the exception. If you know there's a chance they will fight (and perhaps kill) each other there's no point to doing this.