PDA

View Full Version : New spectra pure Ro with no instructions, help..

Adrian
05/22/2001, 07:50 PM
I just got a spectra pure 3 stage RO unit and it didn't come with instructions. I know pretty much how to use it, but Im not sure how long I should let it run before I can start using the water. I have heard that the membrane has to to be wet at all times, does this mean it has to be running at all times? Can I put a drip valve on it when I don't need it fully running? How often should I change the cartridges? Sorry for all the ?s if anyone has a booklet and would not mind scanning it for me I would be very appreciative Thanks

Hannibal
05/22/2001, 08:13 PM
I have a spectrapure plus 5 stage, I usually let the water run through it about 15 mins or so, 2 gallons worth before I use the water. I dont keep it on all the times. I do have a flush kit, I open the flush valve, flush for 30 seconds, then close the valve and shut off the water. The DI cartridge holds enough water to keep the membrane wet. I've never ever had a problem with it.

Adrian
05/22/2001, 08:24 PM
What is a flush kit, and should I get one? Is it important tourn the faucet feeding the unit all the way on or can I slow the flow? Thanks

Hannibal
05/22/2001, 09:00 PM
The flush kit cleans the DI membrane and extends the membrane life. I highly reccomend one. As for leaving it on, I dont see any reason why you would. All that will do is pass impurities through the R/O cartriges and the DI membrane and shorten their collective life. As I said, I have never kept water running through it. When you turn the water off, the unit will empty only to the point where the effluent lines connect. The DI line is about half way up the DI housing which means it will remain half full with water. Most likely plenty to keep the DI membrane moist. If you look at the way the DI membranes are shipped, they do not ship new membranes in water.

Adrian
05/22/2001, 09:08 PM
If I dont have a DI do should I worry about the flush kit? So hypathetically speaking I can go ahead and start filling my drum with RO water, the unit has been running for about 2 hours, and when Im finished I can just shut it off until the next time? Thanks, I contacted spectra purte for a booklet , but that could, and probably will take at least a week.

Hannibal
05/22/2001, 09:10 PM
I don't see why you could not start using the water. If you have no DI cartridge, then don't worry about the flush kit.

Hannibal
05/22/2001, 09:11 PM
P.S.

Yes, you can shut it off for the next time. Just ermember to run water through it before you use the water.

Adrian
05/22/2001, 09:26 PM
Cool, thanks so much for the help:) No more carrying 5 gallon jugs around for me.

ltstring
05/22/2001, 11:05 PM
Hello ADRON420,
I have a five stage spectra pure. In my instructions it says to turn the water on slowly, I guess so you don't blow a gasket or something. As to your question of turning the water on all the way, my unit has a pressure gauge. The book says operating pressure is:
Minimum 40 psi-100psi Maximum. If less than 40psi they recommend a booster pump.
Mine is a 35gpd but because of my low pressure (45psi) it only produces about 20gpd. Also the water ratio is ideally supposed to be 4:1. That is for every 1 gallon of good water (blue line) there is 3 gallons of waste water (yellow line). Hope this helps.
Regards,

Hannibal
05/22/2001, 11:16 PM
Unless you have really high pressue in your pipes, which I suspect you dont if you use city water, then your pressure should be somewhere between 50PSI and 80PSI. Most household pipe pressure is aorund 60PSI. I turn my water on cold faucet first, then add hot water, about half way open. The temperature of the water makes a huge difference in the amount of water you can process in an hour. The only caveat is, never run hot water through the DI membranes.