PDA

View Full Version : Spider Reflector Angle

DeepBlueSea
05/22/2001, 07:05 PM
Setup my 400w MH with Spider Relectors, perpendicular to the tank. However, it seems as though there is a large dead zone right under the bulb. If I flare out the sides of the Spider Relector it seems to brighten up.

Your experiences utilizing Spider Reflectors?
Should I attempt to change the angle?

Deep Blue

dnjan
05/23/2001, 11:00 AM
What is the width of your reflector in its normal position? Perhaps it got distorted in shipping. I believe mine was something like 12-1/4" between the mounting holes.

Bishop
05/23/2001, 11:45 AM
Unless the bottom of your bulb/envelope is dirty or hazy, then it's got to be a figment of your imagination. :)

the orientation of the bulb matters tho, if the little nipple on the envelope (the internal part of the bulb) is facing down you could get a slight difference.

The majority of light is emitted parallel from the bulb, however, the second it leaves the bulb it loses intensity. Once it bounces from the reflector it has a sharp decrease (infinitesimally speaking) so unless you have two bulbs overlapping, then that area could have higher intensity.

The brightest spot however, will be directly below the bulb.

DeepBlueSea
05/23/2001, 12:08 PM
The nipple is facing up and believe me, there is this "shadow" compared to the side's. I'm not saying there isn't light, but there is a definite difference between the sides and directly under the bulb. It's less noticable with both lights on and I submitted the original post with only 1 bulb on. I've placed two clams under the bulb and when I flair out the sides of the reflector its seems to light the entire side of the tank much more evenly.

Wish I had a light meter to measure the difference.

Deep Blu

AHAB
05/23/2001, 12:45 PM
I remember reading something in Aquarium Frontiers about a dim spot under the light and hot spots off to the sides.
This is caused by the shape of the reflector.
Maybe someone can find the link to it.
AHAB

TAC
05/23/2001, 04:42 PM
Try moving the lamp vertically closer and further from the reflector with it shining on a white piece of paper. See if there is a distance from the reflector that maximizes your light intensity and eliminates the dark spot. There are bound to be some variations since the SpiderLight is not a perfect parabola, but I think I remember reading a post where it was stated that with the lamp at the right distance from the reflector there is not a dark spot under the lamp.

Terry