PDA

View Full Version : John Guest fittings leak...any remedy??

Michelle
05/22/2001, 06:02 PM
A couple of the John Guest fitting on my RO/DI unit leak, and re-seating them doesn't make any difference. Is there anything I can do to stop the leaks? This is my first dealing with these fittings and I'm not sure how they work. There doesn't appear to be a thread to tape or anything like that.

Thanks!

Greg Moore
05/22/2001, 06:21 PM
John Guest fittings usually screw into the housing they are to pipe into. Spin them out and make sure that the threads are teflon taped and re-installed. On the pipe side they simply use a seal similer to an o-ring and a small toothed locking barb. Depressing the outer ring allows you to remove the poly pipe. Cut the pipe off clean and try re-inserting it. If there is a scratch along the pipe, the o-ring may not seal. Otherwise, if it still leaks, then the seal itself is shot and you need to replace the fitting. A true plumbing supply store should either carry them, or be able to get them for you.

Greg Moore

geo
05/22/2001, 06:58 PM
FWIW, the JG fittings require no teflon tape.

Greg Moore
05/22/2001, 07:09 PM
On the tubing insert side, what about the pipe thread side???

Greg Moore

geo
05/22/2001, 07:15 PM
on the thread side. I didnt realize this either untill i was working on my brothers water filter he had no tape, and no leaks. I later read in an add "dry seal threads".

Greg Moore
05/22/2001, 07:55 PM
Now I know what you mean, been a while since I put one in anything, usually use ones already installed. They have a sealing coating on the first 3/4 of the threads. Would need a plumber to let us know if tape should be used on re-installs or if the coating holds up (or just try it)

geo
05/23/2001, 05:48 AM
I will look into this further also. I know the JACO fitting that come with the ro units require sealant tape.

Michelle
05/23/2001, 12:09 PM
The leaks are on the tube side of the fittings. I've tried cutting the tubes (in case of scratches or whatnot) and re-seating them but the leak is worse than ever. I guess they simply need replacing.

As to tape, some of them on the threaded end are taped while some are not. Anyone have a final word on whether or not to use the teflon tape? Or at least, will it hurt to use it if you're not supposed to? FWIW, the leaking joints are not ones that (apparently) use tape.

One of the fittings that leaks is on the pressure gauge and it doesn't look like a standard fitting, as compared to the others on the unit. Will I need to go through AquaFX to replace that one?

Thanks again!