PDA

View Full Version : Question about snails

mrudman
09/10/2003, 02:04 PM
I got my cleaner crew today, and just have a couple questions.

First, what snails are nocturnal? Some of my astreas are climbing up my glass, but few haven't tried to move anywhere.. although I can see them moving around in shell.

Then all my cerith snails are exactly where I left them... not one has moved... are they night critters?

Lastly, I only see 2 of my nassarius snails anymore... do they hide under sand?

I also was supposed to have gotten a fighting conch, but he was DOA, :( The second the peppermint shrimp took a whiff of him when I put him in tank, they were all over him. I called place where I got him from (etropicals) and they were very nice and refunded me on the spot.

Michelle

bkwudzjeep
09/10/2003, 02:11 PM
the snails should be alright....mine took about a day to start moving like they should....and yes, the nassarius snails will burrow quite a bit (great sand sifters IMO). Just look around for their snorkles from time to time poking out of the sand.

Try putting a shrimp in the tank in a little bit....its like "night of the living dead" when they all crawl out of the sand and swarm to the shrimp or anything that may die in the tank.....pretty cool.

Not too sure on ceriths being nocturnal...mine actually hang out on the lip of my tank above the waer line, or right at or just below sand level.

R33f3r
09/10/2003, 02:26 PM
I have discovered that turbos/astreas/trochus are pretty much nocturnal. Ceriths on the other hand are out all time....

Fizz71
09/10/2003, 03:07 PM
My Astraea's are out all time. I can't really say if they move though, it's like watching paint dry, but most of them move while the lights are on. My turbo is very active during the day.

And the nassarius are nocturnal, but like bkwudzjeep said it's like night of the living dead when I drop some frozen brine in there or something they can smell. You can see the "snorkel", as he put it, sniffing around. They can really book when they want too, probably the fastest snail I have.

--Fizz