PDA

View Full Version : Should AquaClear filter with two sponges be removed due to producing nitrates?

frosstman
09/10/2003, 12:38 PM
Hi, I have a 5 week-old, fully-cycled, 33 gallon tank with 30+lbs of live rock, a peppermint shrimp, 4 turbo snails, 6 blue-leg hermits and 2 ocellaris clowns that are each an inch-long. I have an AquaC Remora skimmer and 2 powerheads, (soon-to-be 3). My question is this: I have an AquaClear 500 filter running with 2 sponges in it. From what I am reading here, I am realizing this might not be a good idea. Is this a nitrate factory? Should I remove one or both sponges from the filter and just let the skimmer remove the bad stuff? I plan to do weekly 10% water changes. Should I run the filter empty just for water movement? I hope to add a royal gramma and maybe a small angel eventually. My nitrates are currently around 5 or 10. Thanks. :rollface:

liquidfluidity
09/10/2003, 10:32 PM
remove the sponges and replace with some carbon.(imo)

frosstman
09/11/2003, 08:07 AM
Any other opinions? I want to do the right thing. Should I stagger the removal? Thanks.

oscar3411
09/11/2003, 08:31 AM
I have the same problem on my 38 gal reef. I added more rock recently so I'm going to let it stay for about a week and let things settle. Then I'm going to toss the sponge. There is another bag in the filter for carbon so I'm going to run with only that. I noticed that I only get green algae near the output from the filter, which is exactly where the sponge is located. IMO, I would stagger the removal of the sponges in your case. The less shock and more gradual the process, the better adjusted the fish.

cwschoon
09/11/2003, 08:54 AM
I would take out the sponges too. You may want to leave in one sponge for mechanical filtration and clean it often with fresh hot water which should take care of any nitrifying bacteria as well. Is that the only filter you have? The AC is notorious for not starting up after a power cut.

frosstman
09/11/2003, 08:58 AM
That is my only filter besides my skimmer and live rock. I removed a Penguin Bio-wheel 170 already. Is this a problem?

cwschoon
09/11/2003, 09:06 AM
I have an emperor on my tank with no bio wheel and I run purigen and seagel in it.

liquidfluidity
09/11/2003, 02:03 PM
the algae on your return may not be detrimental. i have seen that there are numerous types that are actually good that grow around inlets/outlets. unfortunately, i can't send you in any direction as it has been awhile since i saw that thread.

RonE
09/11/2003, 08:22 PM
I use an eheim canister...What I just did to reduce the "nitrate factory" situation was remove all the media and I just have a carbon bag and a phosphate bag in it....Do you think this will help keep my nitrates down?...I'll clean it out every month.
Frostman,
IMO ...remove the sponges and use just a carbon....and in the other AC unit maybe put a live rock?..or rock rubble...

liquidfluidity
09/11/2003, 09:15 PM
my friend just uses carbon and and a layer of rubble. seems to have been working great for over the last year. i wouldn't wash anything out. just change your carbon on schedule.