PDA

View Full Version : How much water Wasted From RO of 7gpd?

W_dailey
05/22/2001, 04:49 PM
Any takers?????

W_dailey
05/22/2001, 04:54 PM
up

reefmanic
05/22/2001, 05:11 PM
Alot of variables apply in order to even try to guess,like temp,press, and manufacturer.And I don't believe I ever seen a 7gpd ro system.

August

Frisco
05/22/2001, 06:13 PM
It shouldn't be too difficult to test your system - just measure the volumetric flow out of both the waste and product lines... It definitely depends on the pressure on the inlet side of the membrane, and I believe that it could be somewhere between 1:1 and 1:20 depending on your setup. I installed a booster pump and (although not measured) I think mine has improved from about 10:1 to 2:1. HTH

Greg Moore
05/22/2001, 06:17 PM
On average, 2 to 1, means 14 gallons wasted to 7 produced, better systems running on homes with higher presure etc, will improve that.

Don't forget though, people assume that (in this example) you will dump 14 gallons a day down the drain, not true, unless for some reason your RO unit is running full out 24hrs a day. I have an RO feeding a 90G and 8 30G tanks as well as drinking supply, I have rough measured it running about a 20% duty cycle, this means it is capable of 25gpd but in fact is only being asked to produce about 5 gpd or less. Means it is wasting about 2 toilet flushes to keep our 9 aquariums and a ravenous coffee demand :)

Greg

W_dailey
05/22/2001, 07:05 PM
My pressure is extremely strong so I don't think I will need a pump, This RO is made by Ametek and is a for home use with the spicket, holding tank, and 3 stage. Should I try to run warmer or cold water? And this is actually rated at 5 to 9 gpd, so I think that will plenty for my 75 display and 30 prop w/ a 20 gallon refuge.

Greg Moore
05/22/2001, 07:13 PM
Read the fine print on the unit for flow rates. Generally advertised flow is at around 65psi and 70F. Typical municaple systems are closer to 50psi and range from 45F to 60F infeed. Most tests and comparisons I have found show the output to be 1/2 or less at those numbers and warming is easiest and cheapest to gain efficiency. If you have a heated basement, run maybe 60ft of tubing around the ceiling before it hits the RO. I won't bring it right to room temp, but will probably add several more degrees. Of course it would make sence to test your incoming temp first, I expect people in Souther US locations have very warm ground water to begin with.

Greg