PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Suggestions?

eianson
09/10/2003, 11:26 AM
OK, I've revised this stocking list more times than I would like. Here is what will definately go in:

- 2 Ocellaris Clowns
- 1 Royal Gramma OR 1 Black Cap Basslet
- 1 Kole Tang

I'm trying to figure out what else I want. I've been flip flopping around on several options, but the latest is a small school (3-4) of Green Chromis. I'm not thrilled with Chromis and I guess there are agression issues within the school, so I'd like some alternatives. Here are the caveats:

- Must be reef safe (no coral yet, but there will be)
- I have an egg crate for the top of the tank, so small jumpers are out
- Can't eat snails or crabs (my cleaning crew)
- Prefer not to have a fish that will compete with a mandarin for pods as that is a long term goal
- See tank specs below.

Thanks,
Eric

StacyT
09/11/2003, 10:14 AM
I would not go with the chromis. If your going for a reef then I would keep the bioload to a real minimum, better water quality will benefit your corals. I would go with the list you have, add a bengaii cardinal, and then when the tank is established enough add the mandarin. I think with that selection it would be a nice setup.

eianson
09/11/2003, 11:15 AM
I've heard that Bangaii's are pod munchers. I had a Bangaii in my orignial list, but took it out for this reason.

Eric

DensityMan
09/11/2003, 11:56 AM
Any non-detritus-eating, non-veggitarian smaller 'reef' fish is going to munch on pods (at least the larger, more visible pods) when there are available. Some are just more specialized to hunt them (some wrasses, the dragonette familes, etc...).

As long as you aren't putting in another pod-dependant fish and you provide pod-piles and food for them your pod-populace should do just fine.

eianson
09/11/2003, 03:01 PM
I think I may forget about the Mandarin and just go with a sixline wrasse.

I think that will give me 5 fish (2 OC, 1 RG, 1 KT, 1 SW) with lots of personality.

Eric

StacyT
09/11/2003, 03:20 PM
As far as pods you could always add a fuge to your system.

The sixline is definatly a pod muncher. I have a sixline in my 80 reef, and have a 30 gallon fuge full of pods. From time to time I'll see some of the pods get sucked up the return line, and into the main display. The pods don't stand a chance. The sixline gets them every time.

eianson
09/11/2003, 05:14 PM
I will add a fuge down the line. My understanding is that sixlines will eat pods, but don't need them. I'll probably add the sixline last.