PDA

View Full Version : Phosban particles in tank, cause for concern?

mike_ripple
09/10/2003, 10:46 AM
Yesterday, I added Phosban to my tank by the way of a DIY chemical reactor. Apparently the flow was too high and it cast a brownish haze throughout the water for several hours. Also, some of the smaller particles made their way out of the reactor and into my sump. This morning I noticied that my sandbed in the main tank had these particles scattered across it. Is this any cause for concern? Also, I accidently spilled some of the brownish liquid coming out of the reactor onto my floor, staining my carpet. I know that this product is ferric oxide hydroxide, is there any way of getting out the stain? Thanks for the help.

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/10/2003, 12:08 PM
I don't know about the staining. Maybe Habib can help if he has ever spilled his product on the rug. :lol:

Since there is not much you can do about the Phosban in the tank, lets just assume that it won't do any significant harm. :D

It may keep the iron levels elevated in the aquarium, so other iron additives may be unnecessary.

The only real reason (that I can think of) that the Phosban in the aquarium would be much different than Phosban in the reactor is that it will pass through the digestive systems of animals. That might facilitate dissolution and release of iron. Perhaps that's a good thing. :)

Habib
09/10/2003, 01:42 PM
Maybe Habib can help if he has ever spilled his product on the rug.

Yes, these kind of products are always fun when people fill them into containers.

The stains on working clothes disappear in a washing machine.
I would try to vacuum clean the carpet after it is dry. I certainly would not use any stuff like citric acid or so because that might make things worse.

HTH