PDA

View Full Version : CPR Bak-Pak users, a question?

TimT
05/22/2001, 03:17 PM
Anyone using Pak-bak's for skimming like I am? What brand and GPM of pump do you use? I'm using a Rio 600 for it now and a Rio 600 for my UV unit, 8watt. Can someone please tell me what to buy for the UV and the Bak-Pak, and where to buy them. I'm reading too many war stories on the Rio's. Thanks, Tim

Nagel
05/22/2001, 03:26 PM
Tim,

I could be mistaken, but I think the problem with the Rio pumps tends to be more towards the larger pumps, but its better to be safe then sorry. There is another pump that you can use with the BakPak, I think its the MaxiJet 1200 with a venturi adapter kit. I know alot of people on here tend to suggest talking to Jason over at http://www.premiumaquatics.com as he has handled this conversion for alot of people. If you can use the Rio 600 on both, I'm sure the MJ1200 would work on both as well, you just need one venturi adapter for the Bakpak, and not for the UV. Just a note though, the Rio is like 200 GPH, isn't that a bit fast for the UV unit, or do you have it reduced before entering the UV? You want a slower flow through a UV setup so that the water has more contact time with the UV light.

BTW, I also heard that the MJ pumps WILL NOT fit in the CPR Pre-skimmer box, and I have one, so for now I must take my chances with the Rio. 2 months and doing good, I clean it every 2-3 weeks, so hopefully my pro-active measures help me out.

HTH

Agu
05/22/2001, 03:35 PM
Tim,

The melt down issue is primarily with larger Rios, the small ones just get loud and die. I've used rio 800's for a couple of years on a bakpak with no problems, and the overflow box still fits. Just be sure to clean the pump, tubing, and venturi regularly and the bakpak will work just fine ime.

Agu

TimT
05/22/2001, 03:53 PM
Nagel, I have the 600 running at 80gpm for the UV, Thank you.
Agu, would you recomend the 800 over the 600 for the Bak-Pak2
if yes, Why? Mine has been up and running about 14 months, and I never clean the bio media, now that I've started going to a reef setup, ahould I wash it? if so how?? or should I just take it out?? I know that's why my nitrates stay 20-30, taking this out or washing it should lower the nitrates???? Thanks for the help, Tim

Agu
05/23/2001, 10:35 AM
Tim,

The Rio 800 puts out a little more gph at a modestly higher price, so it's not much of an upgrade. But if you're replacing it anyway, why not get the bigger pump? The biobale is unnecessary if you have adequate biofiltration. Although it's submerged, it's in highly oxygenated water and is most certainly contributing to your nitrates. The only thing I put in that chamber is a heater. Works great and keeps the heater out of the main tank and out of sight.

fwiw,
Agu

dsb1829
06/28/2001, 11:17 AM
I have an addition to this as long as we are discussing the Rio 800 upgrade. The argument seems logical, why not push 20 more gph through this skimmer. Well the answer IMO comes in the form of noise. The 800 has a vastly different impeller, not just the 1 peice. These multiple peices chatter very badly when used in conjunction with the rejuvenating venturi(might not be too bad with regular venturi, haven't tried it). I have found that the pump needs to be cleaned at least once a week to keep the noise in check. IMO the upgrade to 800 isn't worth the hassle. No experience with the Maxijet, but that will most likely be my next step with this.

dsb1829
07/03/2001, 11:17 AM
Okay, here is a bit more on the subject. Basically kick the venturi and add an air pump. This fixes two problems, 1-noise, 2-pump limitation. I just put on a new 600 and left well enough alone there. But you could run a maxijet.

Here is a thread I posted over at Reefland.
http://www.reefland.com/cgi-bin/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2379