PDA

View Full Version : Which sump ??

Agu
05/22/2001, 03:11 PM
I got my prop tank( 40 breeder) up and running, and then decided I wanted to also use a sump (so much for my planning skills).

A spare 29 was going to be used but it's too tall to provide easy access, so last weekend a 10 gal was converted to a sump. It's a cute little thing with baffles and space for a refugium, but it's little. Last night i noticed that I still had the rubbermaid tub (30+ gal) that was the original refugium for the 180. The sump will be used to hold and cure lr for frags grown in the prop tank.The lr in the sump will also provide biofiltration, freeing up room in the main tank for more frags. I'm thinking that if I go bigger, shrooms that don't do well under 400w mh can be grown and propped in the sump using reverse photoperiod. But, it's pretty tough to put baffles in a rubbermaid tub so bubbles might be an issue. I'll be moving about 600 gph through it.

So what do you say?

Agu

Doug
05/22/2001, 03:19 PM
Hi Agu,

I don't really think the bubbles would be problem. I have and AquaC EV150 skimmer in my 15g prop tank which creates a ton of bubbles and I have not noticed any problems because of it. I say go for the larger sump.

HTH

Doug