PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of MH bulbs and glass nipples

Smitty91
05/22/2001, 12:11 PM
The glass nipples are supposed to face north. However, any time that I raise the hood on my canopy, the lights intensify significantly for about 5 - 10 seconds. Is this just due to the sudden fluctuation of position? Or is there a more technical explanation?

Thanks,
Smitty :)

Jake
05/22/2001, 12:21 PM
I belive it was dana riddle @ fishnet that said that certain bulbs are ment to be mounted vertically and others horizontally and if you mount them different from their reccommended orientation it will cause them to run dim and have a shorted life. Maybe this is what is happening with your lights. Of course he also mentioned that some bulbs are universal and can be oriented either way with no harm.

Smitty91
05/22/2001, 12:25 PM
Jake

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's the light bulb shape MH's that need to be mounted vertically. The long and slender bulbs are universal. This may not be true in all cases. I had Marine Depot guarantee me that the bulbs they sent (1 Hamilton 10K and 1 Ushio 10K) were indeed mountable horizontally.

The thing is, when I raise the hood, the bulbs are still horizontal, not vertical.

Smitty

Jake
05/22/2001, 01:41 PM
I guess I just assumed that they were mounted perpendicular to the tank length.

Is there proper ventilation in your hood. If not maybe they are over heating and burn brighter as their heat dissipates upon hitting the air in the room. Either that or your eyes just need tim to adjust to them as the hood is opened.

SteveN
05/22/2001, 02:28 PM
Smitty,
I don't the answer to the question, but I have access to some lighting guys. I will e-mail them the question and see what they have to say.

Smitty91
05/22/2001, 02:45 PM
Thanks Steve!~http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

Jake

Plenty of air circulation. I can physically see the lights brighten. I can also feel more heat dissipate as they intensify (the added heat with light goes hand in hand, more light = more heat).

SteveN
05/23/2001, 09:39 AM
Smitty,

The supplier we use suspects it is a reaction in the arc tube that is temporary. It is caused by incomplete excitation of the chemicals in the arc tube. He isn't 100% sure and has gotten in touch with some lamp manufacturers to verify that his thought is correct. When he gets back in touch with me I will let you know. If it's not by the end of today, it will be Tuesday. Porr me has a golf tournament in the Smokies this weekend. HTH

Smitty91
05/23/2001, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the followup Steve!

Sounds like a pretty logical explanation to me. Now, if I could only figure a way to have the bulbs moved every 30 seconds or so, my tank would be at least 30% brighter!! :cool:

J/K of course!

A golf tournament in the smokey mountains?? Darn the luck man!! :D

SteveN
05/23/2001, 11:58 AM
Yea, it's a rough life, but someone has to live it. Still no follow up reply from the lamp manufacturer.