PDA

View Full Version : Lights of America 65W... Getting to Hot Please Advise????

Stars360
05/22/2001, 03:36 AM
hi guys i have the lights of america 65w fixture. over my 10g refugium. and ever since i installed it my temp in the tank has rose from 78 to 85-86. Is there something that i can do to the fixture to make it work cooler than it already is. maybe something like drilling a hole in the back, i dont know. any sugestions would be helpfull..thanks so much

brian

Randy V
05/22/2001, 07:38 AM
How do you have it mounted?

Ah64av8tor
05/22/2001, 09:52 AM
Stars, You can drill holes, I remounted the electronics to reduce the heat. Check out my DIY section, the link is in my signsture.
Do a search and or Check out these threads.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=15785
http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=16336

gas4544
05/22/2001, 10:26 AM
Are you running the lights 24/7? I have two 10-gallon nursery tanks that are lit by the same lighting fixture you are using. They are running on a an approximate 13 hour photoperiod and don't appear to be raising the tank temperature very much. I keep the two tanks at around 82 degrees.

Stars360
05/22/2001, 02:44 PM
i use the loa fixture the one from costco, not home depot. it sits on my 10g refugium. on top of a versa top (well half a versa top anyways) and the temp of the tank has been raising and raising. i have cought it going up to about 87.

if you guys dont think it is the lighting, could it be a faulty powerhead that is heating up the tank?????? thanks guys keep em comming

brian

gas4544
05/23/2001, 01:17 PM
What's the water temperature in the main tank? Is is running high also?

If you are running the light constantly and suspect that it is heating up the water, try reducing the photoperiod to 12 hours per day and see if the water temperature drops.

The failure rate on LOA fixtures tends to increase dramatically if you run them 24 hours per day.

zerrez
05/23/2001, 02:15 PM
Mine gets so hot that I had to put a fan blowing straight on it. Without the fan it was raising the temp of the water and making it very hot in my stand. I added the fan blowing right on the back from about 1.5" away and its helped it out a lot. I was afraid of driling holes in it because of the humid salty air in the stand. I probably should drill a few anyway.

My two cents anyway. Btw I have coralline growing great under this light in my refugium, didnt expect it to grow so well down there. My refugium is 32g.

Stars360
05/23/2001, 05:46 PM
i run the refugium on a reverse daylight photo period. 12/12. and now i am noticing that even during the day the temp of the refugium when the loa is off is still at about 85, and during the night it goes up even higher. it was getting so high that i froze seven cups of di water and threw it into the refugium. that decreased the temp to like 80 for a whole five min. untill the ice melted then it went straight back up. i dont know why it is getting so damm high.

brian

p.s. i dont even have a heater in the tank anymore. because i did not want that to all of the sudden have a problem and turn the tank up to 100

Teri
05/23/2001, 07:51 PM
Maybe you got a bad fixture? I have one over a 10g nano and the tank runs 80-82...the lights are approx. 7" from the water surface,no fan. I also use one over the 18g refugium on my 75 and the temp runs 78-80...no fans.