PDA

View Full Version : Colt and Anthelia Crash. Any ideas?

Andy
05/21/2001, 06:37 PM
Hello everyone

I have a well established 125 gallon reef with a mix of LPS, SPS and soft corals. One of my corals is/was a beach ball sized colt. The colt gradually started to separate into 4 individuals and while doing so noticably got smaller in size. Then, quite suddenly, the individuals started to become dark in colour and limp. Three of the four have since started to melt down and I removed them from the tank. The fourth is still hanging in there although noticably smaller and darker than normal. I have since noticed a crash in a large colony of Anthelia glauca. All other leathers and polyps seem fine. Water parameters are bang on. Any ideas on what might have caused this. I maintain Ca and alkalinity with a calcium reactor and I perform 10% water changes every other week. No additives are put in the tank.

TIA

Andy

Andy
05/22/2001, 07:37 AM
^

Agu
05/22/2001, 10:14 AM
Andy,

It's a tough one to call. When I had a colt start dying I fragged off healthy branches to try to save a piece of the coral. When cutting I discovered that the colt had an internal infection and was rotting from the inside. All I can suggest is that you try to save a frag or two.

The anthelia could be reacting to toxins released by the colt, or it could just be a coincidence. It wouldn't hurt to use carbon at this time if you aren't already.

Agu