PDA

View Full Version : Super Reef Devil or Turboflotor?Which would YOU chose for a 40 long?

G7subs
05/21/2001, 05:54 PM
Ok,I've narrowed my choices down to 2 skimmers.The ETSS Super Reef Devil or the Turboflotor.(price being a limiting factor).I will be setting up a 40 Long reef with 10 gal sump shortly.Any advice from either of the models owners will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
Rich

Neal358
05/21/2001, 07:05 PM
I LOVE my turb flotor skimmer. it work realy realy well and after you get it set up you dont have to tuch it except for clening. it oriduceses nothing but dark dark NASTY slime stuf. the only negative thing i have herd about the reef devil is it can be dificalt to set up and get runing but when you do it works well also and it needs a bit of adjusting now and then.

PerryinCA
05/21/2001, 07:08 PM
Turbofloater here....I am far from impressed with the SRD.

-Perry

Reef Maniac
05/21/2001, 08:14 PM
DONT GET THE ETSS!

GOOD (G)REEF
05/21/2001, 08:16 PM
I have heard good things about the turbofloater as well. I would get this one, especially idf you plan on upgrading to a bigger tank. The turbofloater is overkill for a 40 IMO, but I think you should be okay. HTH!

ckeadle
05/21/2001, 08:23 PM
I have the SRD and it is a good skimmer only if the water level in your sump remains constant. You have to find the "sweet spot" with this skimmer and it varies according to water level in the sump.

Jawfish
05/21/2001, 08:29 PM
I had a Reef Devil III and it SMOKED the Turbofloater Multi that my friends had on the same size tank. (75 Gal at the time). I was very unimpressed with the performance of the Turbofloater multi, and not at all impressed with the construction or proprietary pump. I did like the buble size on the Turbofloater.

Now they don't sell regular Reef Devils anymore. They were replaced by the 'Super Reef Devil' which are of a different design. I can't comment on them, since I've never seen them work.

An Aqua-C 90, or a Bullett-1 might be preferable to either.

Jawfish
05/21/2001, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Reef Maniac
DONT GET THE ETSS!

Hey Reef Maniac, I know your website (because I was impressed with your bow-stand, Good Job). I know you used a SRD. Come now, you had to know it was a bit underpowered for a 155!

(I moved to a 180 and am upgrading my RDIII to an Aerofoamer 830. But the RDIII rocked for my 75.)

Is the SRD really a downgrade from the RD? My RDIII got me through the first months of the 180 with only normal diatoms.

PerryinCA
05/21/2001, 10:33 PM
The SRD is tiny, and very cheaply made. I think its just a peice of 6" black ABS plastic. They are overpriced, and underpowered.

-Perry

greenlincoln
05/22/2001, 12:06 AM
Perry, the SRD is not tiny, unless you are comparing it to one of those 4-foot jobs. It takes up almost all the room in my sump. I just got mine, and it is still in the break-in stage. However, I am very pleased with the quality of skimmate it is producing. I am having problems with tiny bubbles, but that is a minor annoyance for the time being. I am not impressed with the Turboflotor, as it requires either TWO pumps or you have to rig your overflow to go through the skimmer and add a pump. This is not a practical setup for most (not ALL) reef enthusiasts. I am sure from what I have read that the Turboflotor is a good quality skimmer, but because of the design of the setup, I chose to go with the Super Reef Devil.

ltstring
05/22/2001, 04:43 AM
Hello Perry,
I have a turbo in a 75 and it works great. The only problem I had was with it being the "in sump only" model I had to get a 20 gal sump as the footprint for this type is 13 1/2" long. It is 7 1/2" wide. With the multi it wouldn't be a problem coz it can stand alone. Hope this helps.
Regards,