PDA

View Full Version : CustomSeaLife's SmartLite any good?

chipmunk
05/21/2001, 03:57 PM
I have a 60 gallon TruVu AquaSystem Built in wet dry. I'm shopping for lighting for the tank.

On CustomSeaLife's website, they say that their SmartLite with SmartLamps is sufficient for a reef tank with soft corals.

Has anyone had experience with their SmartLites?

What has your experiences been?

I plan on a tank with a light fish load with some live rock, caulerpa, and soft corals. I'm cycling the tank currently with a 4 inch sand bed of sugar fine aragonite.

Thanks, any help much appreciated!

Rovert
05/21/2001, 04:33 PM
Chipmunk, I don't have the SmartLamps, but I do own the CSL 4x96W fixture with 2 10K and 2 Ultra Actinics, which should be about the same. I very much like the look of the tank with this color balance, and so do the corals, but I heard second hand that the SmartLamps weren't so hot, but didn't hear any specifics. I'm curious to see what the feedback is here.

chipmunk
05/21/2001, 05:35 PM
Thanks Rovert. BTW, I have a 48" long tank, but because of the way the canopy top is, I can't use a 48" hood. I'm thinking of the 36" hood.

Anyone with experience with placing a 36" hood on a 48" tank? How has your success been with getting enough light to the sides of the tank?

rockdiver
05/21/2001, 09:00 PM
I have the smartlites on my 30 gallon and I think they are great everything is doing just great and for looks its not bad I dont have a hood and they sit nicely on the tank.
see my link on the bottom pictures are with the smartlites everything looks great.
diver

Nanook
05/21/2001, 09:13 PM
I have the 65 watt fixture over a 29g, all the liverock is covered with dark coralline algae. I would double the light if I were to keep the 29g up and going. The bulb is an 8800k. I like the look of the light, nice and bright white.

Nanook

NotAnHerb
05/21/2001, 11:47 PM
I have two 55 watt ones and two 40 watt NO. By themselves, I think the CSL smartlites are a little too blue. So I tested out several NO until I found one that was hopefully good for the tank and pleasing to my eye. I used a couple different URI actinic NO.

I like the PCs because of the amount of light and not much heat. I don't need to use fans!

I like the on/off switch that came with the retro kits. I think the cable from the ballast to the lights are a little short. I had to get a little creative with running cable.

Note: I'm not trying to do SPS or clams. I've had them installed for about 5 months.

Todd

Stars360
05/22/2001, 03:34 AM
i have been using the csl 65w fixture w/ the smart lite over my 15g nano for 8 months now and everything looks geat..

NMReefer
05/22/2001, 07:21 AM
I use CSL fixtures......2x65 watt smartlite 2x65 watt 10000k...on a 55 gal reef....everything is in gr8 shape.......closed brain..frogspawn..mushrooms...leathers...polyps...coraline......soon to add sps....but I do not forsee any problems..........good luck

Learning All The Time
05/22/2001, 09:34 AM
I have the CSL 4X55 watt PC's as well as two NO actinics. I have two 10000k pc's and two Smart lights. Personally I think that the smart lights are ok if you can only put one strip accross the length of the tank. If you have room for multiple light strips then I would go with the conventional(6700k,10000k,etc.) with an all actinic bulb as the smart lights usually are more expensive.I have been able to keep deresa and squamosa clams,E. quadricolor anemones(Reproducing), LPS,and after purchasing a dying sps and seeing it recover albeit slowly I have started with sps.
HTH,
George
PS My tank does get lots of indirect natural light.