PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Iowa

Laura D
05/21/2001, 02:16 PM
Hi all, I am about to move to Iowa and become a Hawkeye.

I wil be living in Cedar Rapids, near Iowa city.

Does anyone know of any good fish stores, clubs, maybe a public aquarium, ect.?

I am taking all my fish, rocks, sand, corals, and tanks, two 55gallons, one 155g, and a 90. Call me crazy.

I just want to make some reef friends. I just graduated college and my husband is starting Law School at U of I,this is the first time I have just up and moved somewhere, it would be nice to know about the reef scene first.

Thanks, Laura

SandM
05/21/2001, 08:31 PM
Laura: Congrads on the hubby getting into Law School. Cant help with any of the Info you want, but will tell you that you will really enjoy the area. I know there are some stores in the area and if no club then start one!!

Scott, former Iowan

MtnDewMan
05/21/2001, 09:13 PM
Oh no ... a Hawkeye???? That's a fighting word :D

I am an Iowa State Cyclone Alum here ....

docmal
05/21/2001, 09:17 PM
You can always come to omaha to the Henry Doorly Zoo! They have a great aquarium. We also have a few nice LFS's, although it is a drive at 5 hours from CR. By the way I went to ISU for a while... They had some really ugly women up there so I came back ;) Just kiddin...

Bubafat
05/21/2001, 09:20 PM
I'm really, really sorry! If you ever need any support, just make the trip up to wonderful Minnesota, there are many people here that will support you even though you did choose to go to that awful state.

Buba

sandy
05/21/2001, 09:49 PM
Mulberry,

When are you moving to Iowa? I live about 1.5 hours from Cedar Rapids. I don't know of any clubs in that area. Still haven't found any around here. Grinnell, Newton, area. I have a friend that just recently moved to Cedar Rapids and will ask her on the LFS for you.

A very warm Welcome to the state. It is a beautiful area to live in.

Sandy

12ptbk
05/21/2001, 09:59 PM
The best place I have found is the Fish Shack in Manchester
about 45 min north of CR. Been to couple in CR one closed up liquidated everything this month. Been to Davenport nothing
PetSmart in CR has ick and other sicknesses on there fish.
Haven't looked in Iowa City usually drive to Chicago or Indiana or MO.The Fish Shack in Dubuque is all right. Same guy owns both Fish Shacks The Manchester Store has more tanks and better looking coral and fish and he can usually order what you need.
Live Rock in CR was selling at 9 to 10 bucks a pound to outrageous and everything else was pricey haven't been back since.

Good Luck

Agu
05/21/2001, 10:35 PM
mulberry,

Congrats on the law school, sorry it's in Iowa ;).

I understand there's a good store in Mason City, with a knowledgable owner. Don't know the name but if your interested let me know.

Agu

sandy
05/21/2001, 10:52 PM
Agu,

Just curious on noting a few negative remarks about Iowa in this thread. Is there a reason for this???

I do note that there aren't that many reefers on the forums from Iowa.

Satisfy my curiosity.
Thanks Sandy

apham4
05/21/2001, 11:11 PM
hey there. there's a pretty good place in iowa city that is near the coralridge mall. the name of the store is "Sea of Marvels". they specialize in only saltwater fish, primarily deals with corals. i'd say he's got some of the nicest tanks around, good clean tanks or pristine condition. he keeps all his corals under metal halides and the price for things aren't too bad. it's a "one man" shop with one young college assistant and that's it. he gets new corals every tues (therefore shop is closed) so come early wednesday for the first pick. he opens from 11-7pm everyday except tues.

for more directions and information, you can call him, his number is 319-351-3969 . you may even get some perks if you tell him that i sent ya. my name is tony.

as for prices, things range from $35 - $50 for most corals, excluding SPS ($60 +). mushrooms fall in about the $40-45 range and hammers and such are usually around 50. this is where i go for all my corals.

feel free to email me directly if you need anymore information.

for the monthly specials, check his very brief one page webpage.

http://www.seaofmarvels.com

bye bye

A.

Greg3333
05/21/2001, 11:25 PM
Iowa is cool! I lived there for 25 years before I moved to WI. I second the Sea of marvels. When I was going to his store it on Gilbert Street next to the adult book store, but now it's by the Mall. It's really quite easy to find.

Iowa City is really a pretty decent place to go. The bars all change names every two years, and the best ones are gone. I used to go see R.E.M. back when they were playing college bars at the Yacht Club. For a pizza, gotta go to the Airliner it's located right across from the Old Capitol.

Otherwise the pickin's are pretty slim. I never even found a decent store for corals in Des Moines.

The only thing Minnesota has to offer is more Lutherans, Lake Woebegone, and Alberta clippers.

MtnDewMan
05/21/2001, 11:26 PM
No negative Iowa feedback from me ... I spent my college days in Ames, IA and loved it ... Far different from Chicago where I grew up but met some of the nicest people I have ever met there.

We always had a great rivalry between Iowa State and University of Iowa, and I am pretty sure it still holds today ... those were the good ole days :)

Bubafat
05/22/2001, 07:29 AM
We MN just like ripping on Iowans. They do the same. Heres a common joke. Why does the mississippi flow south? Cause Iowa sux! :-) I have nothing against iowans, heck, I dated one. Its just fun to rag on them once in a while.

You should have fun, enjoy the cow tipping.

Buba

Wolverine
05/22/2001, 11:13 AM
Wow, everyone is ripping on Iowa so much, and we just wish that we could be there. We consider it a nice step up from here. It's closer to MN, Ill, and such, and so we can get to where our family and friends are much quicker.

When we leave here (in a little under a year), we'll miss our LFS (Bellevue Pet Center), the zoo aquarium that docmal mentioned, and the Omaha Marine Society. That's about it. (I would include my classmates, but they'll all be scattering as well)

Dave

docmal
05/22/2001, 01:07 PM
Wolverine: Iowa a big step up from OMAHA are you crazy? Have you been to the armpit of the world known as Council Bluffs (or Coucil-tucky as we call it)? Iowa is nice but Omaha, is way nicer. Although it is a matter of opinion and I'm just a city type of person. I enjoy the city much more than the emptiness of Iowa. Thats why I came back home. I know Omaha isn't the biggest city in the world but when I finish college I am moving away for a while, then I'll come back to raise a family here. Us Nebraskans love to pick on you Iowan's but it's all in good fun. Here's one I've always enjoyed: I.O.W.A or Idiots Out Wondering Around. I know it's mean but it's all meant as a joke ;)

leo
05/22/2001, 01:16 PM
hey docmal, I think it's wandering, not wondering. I live outside of Lincoln (Go Huskers), but couldn't resist correcting a slam :)
And, Bellvue Pet Center is a good place. You need to talk to Scott.

Fig
05/22/2001, 01:20 PM
Hey Mulberry,
Welcome to Iowa. Why don't you bing a pallet of SD sand with you. You could make alot of new friends then!

Wolverine
05/22/2001, 02:03 PM
docmal, actually I'm not from Iowa, so any slams on them don't really affect me much. I know there's not much in Iowa, but, like I said, it's just that much closer to the places I'd rather be. If I have to drive to Chicago to visit my friends, it's a much nicer (read:shorter) drive if I'm starting in Des Moines or Davenport than if I'm starting here. While Council Bluffs may be a little bit of a hole, I'd have to say that I've been to some much, much worse places in my travels.

I agree that it's a matter of opinion, but as we see it, Omaha isn't quite the place for a city person (as you describe yourself). As we see it, we need to travel at least 2-2.5 hours to get to a real city (KC). Much more to get to Chicago or Minneapolis (both high on our list for where we'll end up next year), which is where we'd prefer to go.

So, in summary, for us, Omaha and Iowa are both a little empty, but Iowa has the perk of being closer to where we want to be (plus once you get more toward the Eastern side you get into Big Ten country, which we prefer).

Dave

Josh669
05/22/2001, 02:03 PM
ive noticed that this entire second page is all about Iowia? uh,why? this forum was for me to know about sharks, and this page is nothing but non info. thanks

Wolverine
05/22/2001, 02:04 PM
Um, Josh, I think you replied to the wrong thread.

Dave

docmal
05/22/2001, 03:34 PM
wolverine: I wasn't slamming you. I know you are from NE because I've talked to you before and it's in your tag. I was just poking fun at Iowa.

As far as Bellevue Pet Center goes I will not shop there anymore. There was a thread a while back about Bad LFS experiences and I posted mine on it here's the link: http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=22743

Basically Scott is an arogent jerk who doesn't care about his costomers the minute they leave the store.

In addition to the story above, Scott has said some completely untrue things about my former boss and former owner of Animal Talk Aquatics Pet Store in Omaha. When Animal Talk went out of business scott offered an insulting offer to buy all of our livestock including 12 giant rare breeding blue frontosas. Scott preceeded to sell the fronts before we agreed to his offer. We didn't agree to his offer and this costomer was left standing in the rain. So to save his butt Scott claimed that we had taken his money and not given him the fish. He then claimed that he had to send the police to the former owner of animal talk's house to get the money back. All of this was a complete fabrication by Scott. He is a liar and his prices are a joke to anyone who knows the fish business. Since Animal Talk has closed he has risen his base coral price from $59.00 to $90.00. This guy is just an insecure jerk, don't buy from him. Ever.

Sorry to get so serious but I just wanted to let you all know about this guy.

Although Anthoney (another employee of Bellevue) is a good guy. But Scott runs the joint so I still boycot.

Josh669
05/22/2001, 06:32 PM
oh, my bad. my thread somehow brought me here, sorry.

Laura D
05/22/2001, 07:24 PM
Wow, I had no idea that I would get so many responses!!!!

apham4,12ptbk,Greg3333,ect. Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. All I need is one or two stores, hopefully one that likes to give credit for xenia, shrooms and the like.

sandy, I'll be moving June 1st. Hubby will be going to U of I and I will be working there, but we will be living in an apartment in my in laws house in Cedar Rapids. Free rent should be worth the commute and hassle. I'll get in touch with you when I get settled in, I love to trade.

Bubafat,
"You should have fun, enjoy the cow tipping." Oh us Virginians do plenty of cow tipping ourselves!
I am intrigued by the large number of reefers I see from the north in people's profiles. I would think that it would be hard to get good stock up there, with it being so cold a good part of the year. Me and hubby are both reef nuts and think that a long drive just to see other people's tanks is a super way to spend a Saturday.

Thanks for all the responses!
Laura

Wolverine
05/22/2001, 10:44 PM
mulberry, I've completely forgotten my manners. Congrats to you for your graduation and to your hubby on the law school thing.

docmal, sorry, I misread your last post and thought that was directed at me. My bad.

As for the other issue, I've known Scott for a while now, and I feel that he's someone I can trust. He's always taken good care of me, even when he knew that I was working for his competitor. And it's also good to know that he's done this knowing that we're short term customers (ie, we'll be leaving in less than a year), and that our tanks are too full to add anything right now anyway, and that we're students in a lot of debt without a lot of money, so we're not exactly pouring money into his store.

I did read your post on that other thread, and replied to it. Since then Scott has talked to me about it, and he has a different side of the story. If nothing else you should talk to him about it and get things sorted out. I don't think it's really my place to be a go-between.

I know that there's no love lost between Scott and [the former owner of Animal Talk]. The two have not gotten along for quite a while; and I should say that the bad-mouthing I've heard has all been from [the former owner of Animal Talk] (who, as you know, was also my boss for a time). The fact is that I like both of them and I get along well with both of them, so I just stay out of it.

Just remember, every story has 3 sides to it: your side, my side, and the truth.

Dave

nickbuol
06/28/2001, 04:18 PM
OK. I've seen the Sea of Marvels post. I was just there (after going to one in C.R. that was going out of business) on May 25th. They do have saltwater only, which is nice, and some of the stuff was interesting, but I wouldn't say that it is great. Really there aren't that many good places around the area. The Fish Shack (in Dubuque) is going down hill because they don't have anyone there that cares about the saltwater fish, the one in Manchester is probably better since it is run by the dad of the family, and he take more pride in the store.
In Davenport, we stumbled across a really nice store. We hit it by pure chance, it is Aquatic Environments. Fish only, not hamsters and rabits like some "fish stores".
Stay away from PetCo and PetSmart. You are asking for trouble there.

Laura D
06/28/2001, 06:46 PM
nickbuol,

Thanks for bringing this back up!

I agree that Sea of Marvels is not that impressive, although all their stock looked healthy the times I have been there. I like my fish stores BIG!

Right now I am only working part time, so it would be real easy for me to run over to Davenport to hit up "Aquatic Environments."

-Laura

aLittletank
06/28/2001, 09:42 PM
thanks for the tip on the store in Davenport!

my folks live in muscatine and I am making arrangments to buy a house in the area as well. Although I can still imagine doing most of my buying in the Chicago land area, it would be nice to find a store closer.

Allen

birkej
06/28/2001, 10:13 PM
Mulberry- welcome to Iowa-the LFS are mostly-so-so-in D.M.-Adams Acquatics- Beaver and Douglas-moving to 42nd and I-235 is probably the best-Iowa is still a great place to live and raise a family- maybe not a "status" place-with 12 broadway hits playing tonight-mostly just good friendly people. I'm fairly new to reefs- hopefully if there is enough interest ultimately a group could form.:)

Deacon
06/29/2001, 10:51 AM
Hey Mulberry, Welcome.

Just remember most of the razzing about Iowa is coming from people that elected a pro-wrestler as governor.......heheheh:).

Here's a more objective look at how states compare as far as livability goes. (Obviously, common sense in electing governors wasn't one of the criteria;)).

http://www.morganquitno.com/sr00mlrnk.htm

dellrio
02/23/2003, 10:06 PM
hey i live in iowa and i am looking for other iowans to trade frags with and such.. if anyone has anything they wre willing to share/.. LET ME KNOW!! thanks all

Waterboy
02/23/2003, 10:18 PM
hey dellrio,

I also live in Ames. I've got a couple of softies, frogspawn, kenya tree, and hammerhead that I'm willing to frag. Let me know if you're looking for something in particular.

WB

MegaDeTH
02/23/2003, 10:37 PM
I just moved from iowa, there was a nice store in DM I used to go to, name escapes me though...

Waterboy
02/23/2003, 10:42 PM
The only stores I go to in DSM are Adam's Aquatics and Iowa Pet Foods and Aquatics. As livestock is pretty expensive and limited at both stores, I've been ordering from PA and HA.

WB

MegaDeTH
02/23/2003, 10:54 PM
Adams was the place I was going to..

brook
02/24/2003, 01:49 AM
There are more Iowans on these forums than most people realize. Go CYCLONES! We suck in the Big 12 lately but the highlight every year now is just beating the Hawkeyes in basketball and football.

Not much for fish stores but Adam's is the nicest with the higher prices.

And as every Iowan knows, Council Bluffs is where the scum of Omaha comes to live because Nebraska won't keep them..............lol..............just kidding around remember.

I hear there is a LFS in Altoona now that has SW? Anyone been there?

I am in Des Moines which is okay for a city of its size and is getting better all the time, or at least trying to.

You guys in Ames,.............my newest tank is only about 6 months old but I would love to trade/frag items when I can. I have fallen in love with Ricordea lately. Anyone one have some green, blue or orange ricordea?

lllosingit
02/24/2003, 02:35 AM
The store in Altoona is called "The Reef Connection"
The adress is 1009 8th ST SW
Its owned and run by Janna Mozdzer. She is a Reef Central member and she knows her stuff.
She also organizes get togethers/Tours every three months or so.
We go to 3-4 houses and get an up close look at their set ups.
I have been on 2 tours and have met some really nice people.
people from Iowa also have there own forum here on RC, it was just started last week so spread the word!
Here is the link http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=190

dellrio
02/24/2003, 02:49 AM
janna's is alright.. reef connection.. she has the best prices..
i like Adams Aquatics b/c they are HONEST... ALTHOUGH they lied to me once.. they told me these muchrooms were ricordia and charged me as much.. but silly me.. i didnt know the difference b/t hairy mushrooms and ricordea... i was newer.. however i will NOT even buy a snail or crab from Iowa pet foods/ sea scapes.. everyone i know has had problems with them/.. they lie like crazy.. i bought 8 bumble bee snails and they gave me empty shells and was told "too bad". they also tried to sell me a "rare' bright pink leather.. they swore it was not dyed...and tried to sell it to me for $80.. i went back 3 days later and it had lost all the pink dye and was pretty ugly! and they sold a pal bogus equipment. as for dry goods and such.. online is best.,
NOBODY HAS MENTIONED AMES'S THE ARK.. totally sucks.. sick stuff....nothing healthy... over priced... tried to sell me a bumble bee snaiil for $8.. ha ha ha! they were trying to sell bleached ricordea for $70.. crazy!

dellrio
02/24/2003, 02:52 AM
iowans... WATERBOY... and others

i have frags to trade or sell... I PREFER TO TRADE... tons of mushrooms... some polyps, lovely colt coral.. maybe green star polyps, and a condy anemone.. maybe other stuff too....
call anytime

Lindsay
956-4522
231-6158

lllosingit
02/24/2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by dellrio
iowans... WATERBOY... and others

i have frags to trade or sell... I PREFER TO TRADE... tons of mushrooms... some polyps, lovely colt coral.. maybe green star polyps, and a condy anemone.. maybe other stuff too....
call anytime

Lindsay
956-4522
231-6158
I have some SouthDown sand?
The only thing other than that is some Pulsing Xenia, I'm still trying to get a 125 stocked and don't really have anything else to trade right now.
I am interested so I'll give you a call.
Thanks
John

dellrio
02/24/2003, 02:58 AM
also.. for the iowa peeps... i use this message board and have found wonderful people and items to buy or trade

http://www.fishheads.org/

dellrio
02/24/2003, 03:01 AM
well john... i am up late.. so go ahead and give me a buzz.. we may want to buy the south down.. we have a buddy whos been wanting some.. and for a fair price we may take 3-5 bags...

lllosingit
02/24/2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by dellrio
also.. for the iowa peeps... i use this message board and have found wonderful people and items to buy or trade

http://www.fishheads.org/
I am a member but gave up on that site, I can almost count the post in the last month on one hand.

dellrio
02/24/2003, 03:04 AM
true.. but i never give up... gotta keep it going and growing... with being in iowa.. we have so little resources avaliable... so i work with what i got and give total faith. plus,.. i always get my questions and requests answered!