PDA

View Full Version : KH and calcium

Theo
05/21/2001, 12:45 PM
would kh being low and dripping kalkwasser make your tank cloudy? If I am correct if kh is not high it would not be capable of dissolving the calcium. I'm relatively new and still trying to understand the finer points

3_high_low
05/21/2001, 01:15 PM
Dr Bingman is the resident expert, imo.

http://www.reefcentral.com/library/CraigBingman.htm

MIKE
05/21/2001, 01:52 PM
Hi Theo,

Tank cloudiness usually occurs for two reasons. One is precipitation of calcium out of solution (into a solid form) due to radical changes in various parameters of water chemistry. The other is due to blooms of tiny algae due to high nutrient levels in the water.

The calcium products that are typically used (including kalkwasser) are in solution and not dependent on dkh being at a certain level, assuming it's somewhere between 0-~12 dkh. Higher dkh levels will result in great precipitation and lower levels of calcium in solution. A low dkh will enhance soluability of calcium.

As far as kalkwasser specifically, it can cause a precipitation event if dosed too quickly. With a ph of around 12 or so, adding it too quickly will significantly raise tank ph and lower the ability to hold calcium in solution resulting in the precipitation. I don't know if that's the case in your situation or not though without further information.

HTH