PDA

View Full Version : Which Iodine supplement to use?

Clint
05/21/2001, 10:58 AM
What do you think of this one "TECH I IODINE SUPPLEMENT KENT MARINE." It says something about releasing over time. Anyone have experience with it. What is better or safer?

hartman
05/21/2001, 11:31 AM
Clint,

Most on the board would say not to bother. Water changes on a normal schedule will be al you need.

Hartman

Clyde
05/21/2001, 11:54 AM
good reply :)

i was going to say the same.

dont dose em, unless if you REALLY want to, grab a iodine test kit.

why dose something that you dont test for ? one thing I dont get about those dosing things - and no one tests for results to see if you're over dosing or actually underdosing

Neal358
05/21/2001, 01:03 PM
i do use it and like it, i use the kent lugols solution. realy strong stuf 1 drop for every 25 gal in the tank

Fishwife
05/21/2001, 01:20 PM
Why use something you don't really need? Some people claim xenia need it to do well. I'd be scared to see what would happen in my tank if I added iodine - the xenia couldn't grow any faster.

Keep it simple!

Laurie

David Grigor
05/21/2001, 02:15 PM
I keep Lugols Iodine on hand for a LPS/SPS dip in an emergency.

I don't add to the tank.

bigtank
05/21/2001, 02:21 PM
I use Tech I in my tank. The corals and bubble tip look better after I add some. If I did frequent water changes it wouldn't be necessary but I'd be spending MORE money because of the salt.

dnjan
05/22/2001, 12:45 PM
Since iodine is one of the additives that is reported to be easily removed by skimming, I think there is a reasonable argument for using it in some cases. For myself, I use 5ml of the seachem (I think it is seachem - those transparent, dark green bottles???) each week. I arrived upon this dosage by testing for iodine each week for a couple of months until I determined what dosage was necessary to get the iodine up to 0.6 (natural level). Now I just check the iodine level every month or two (staying steady at 0.6).

When I started the iodine, I definitely noticed an increase in color intensity in some mushrooms. Since I didn't have much for corals in the tank at the time, I don't have any before-after comparisons of those. But the efffect on the mushrooms was positive.

I fully agree with the "don't dose it if you don't test it" philosophy. I test, and I dose (Iodine, kalk, and magnesium for a short period).

Clyde
05/22/2001, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by dnjan

I fully agree with the "don't dose it if you don't test it" philosophy. I test, and I dose (Iodine, kalk, and magnesium for a short period).

clap clap