PDA

View Full Version : Southdown sand in Lousisiana, Mississippi, Alabama or Florida?

npaden
05/21/2001, 10:51 AM
A friend is traveling to Pensacola from Lubbock and I was curious if there is any place with Southdown sand on the way or not to far out of the way.
He is traveling in a pickup and I need 1,000lbs of it so using Southdown sand will save me over $500 even if I pitch in a $100 or more on his gas bill.
I would appreciate any help in locating some along the way.
Thanks in advance! Nathan

SandM
05/21/2001, 12:38 PM
None in Penscola.

Scott

Mako
05/21/2001, 01:34 PM
Southdown Tropical Play Sand is not available at any Home Depot Store in Florida. Got this word from their division buying office in Atlanta. Seems they have a division just for the state of Flordia (over 200 stores). I saw on a message on another board that had the following info listed from a HD in MA.

SouthDown Tropical Play Sand
SKU # 578-819
UPC # 0-210026-16865-5
Model # 420-100

I gave this SKU number to the buyer for the Florida division and was told this was discontinued back in 1993 for the Florida market. Evidently it is still a valid SKU though and is carried in other HD markets. They are supposed to check the mid-south market, Georgia, SC, MS, LS, etc and get back with me. Amazing!

Chuck

skipm
05/21/2001, 02:27 PM
Please post if you find any in the SC area. I ead a while back that there were 2 stores in the Atlanta area that had Southdown but I don't know if that info is still current. Skip

Mako
05/21/2001, 03:26 PM
Ok, here is the skiny straight from the HD consumer affairs gal in Atlanta. Southdown is a PA company and is not set up for national delivery. They are a regional supplier and therefore only ship as far south as Virginia. Guess that explains why all the guys in the Northeast see it in the HD stores around there. According to this lady there is none available in the GA area at any HD store. It looks like you need to look to a store in Virginia....she gave me the number to the one in Richmond. It is 804-364-0782.

I give up on this stuff. Will probably go with a mix of ESV "Fine Grade" Oolitic Aragonite Reef Sand & CaribSea Oolitic Select. Will cost more....but, who wants to skimp at this stage of the game.

Might still try and find someone going to that area in the near future. I know someone going to N. Carolina here in a few weeks. See if they have it there. What a PITA this is!!

Abet
05/21/2001, 03:41 PM
I agree with Mako, did my research, called HDs from SC to VA, MA and found out the closest and convenient (close to I95)HD that carries it from me (Jax, FL) is in Fredericksburg, VA. SD seems to be carried by HD stores only in the Northern part of VA.

Ah64av8tor
05/21/2001, 04:00 PM
Mako,
Im moving from Pa to ST Pete in July. I have a truck and can haul 1000 lbs, how many bags do you want?

Mako
05/21/2001, 05:15 PM
Greg - you have mail!! Got room for about 8 bags of the stuff?? :D