PDA

View Full Version : SUMP PROBLEM

Bobby115
05/21/2001, 09:41 AM
My tank has been up for over a month and for some reason I have a Bubble problem. I have a SUMP that I took all of the media out of and for some reason my return pump shoots very small bubbles into my tank. Someone said something about BAFFLES but need some info on them. I was also thinking about SHUTTING down the sump completly and just having my LIVE ROCK - LIVE SAND - POWERHEADS as filtration. What do you guys think. I really need to get this problem corrected.

Thanks for all the help so far

Bobby

Agu
05/21/2001, 10:41 AM
Bobby,

Baffles slow down the flow and allow bubbles to dissipate.
The media you removed probably accomplished the same thing. A good alternative is to add live rock where the media was to breakup the bubbles.

Check here to learn about adding baffles,
http://www.northernreef.org/sumps101.htm

I'd keep the sump up and running and convert it to a refugium instead of shutting it down.

Agu

Fasciatus
05/21/2001, 10:43 AM
Hi,

It may take a bit of back and forth posting to get this right, but it IS possible to get right.

The key to getting air bubbles out of the water column isn't necessarily baffles, but TIME. Does the water come out of your skimmer or airstone from teh opposite end of the sump as the pump that pumps water back up to your main tank? How long is the run from skimmer output to return pump, and from overflow downpipe to return pump?

Please give compleat details of your sump configuration... how big is it, where are things placed, what's in there, etc.

Increasing total circulation via a sump is more effective than just shooting water around with powerheads! So you're almost there. If I don't respond to your posts soon, please eMail me privately with a reminder.