PDA

View Full Version : More LR curring questions...

Aeonreef
05/21/2001, 09:10 AM
Ok so I have had this LR in my tank for serveral weeks now, and when it came in it looked rather brownish. I thought maybe because I just use 10k MH and no actinic secondary lighting, but this weekend I can now see that the rock seems to have some of the brown algae go away and the coraline coming through. Now my question is, is this because I didnt scrub the rocks (at the suggestion of Premium Aquatics)? If so, should I go over them with like a tooth brush or something or just let the stuff die off natrually? I only have the lights on about 2 1/2 hours a day at this point.

billzie
05/21/2001, 10:29 AM
You didn't mention what kind of rock, was it raw transhipped to you, or from someone elses' tank? Are you aggressively skimming/circulating?
I recently cured some tonga branch (about 20#) I got from Harbor Aquatics, they carry the best curred rock, hands down. However, some die off is expected even though it was dry for only 5 hours. I cured it in the box it came in with a powerhead and a Visijet skimmer. Took two weeks to cure excellently and I added it to the display with no problems. Thanks, Bill.

Aeonreef
05/21/2001, 10:35 AM
Sorry I posted more info on other threads and just forgot to mention here. Im curing 90lbs in my 75 gallon with 1300 gallons per hour circulation. Skimming 24/7 with a CPR SR4 driven by a Mag 700. It was in the dealers tank for about 5 - 6 days then was shipped to me 2nd day air.

billzie
05/21/2001, 11:49 AM
If the LR was in the dealers tanks for only 5-6 days then shipped 2 days to you, I'd still consider your LR raw from the reef. With your skimmer cranking it'll probably take more than a month to do all of this rock at once in a virgin tank. Check your ammonia levels every couple of days until zero. Bill.

Aeonreef
05/21/2001, 03:11 PM
So should is scrub the rock with a soft brush like a tooth brush or just let it sit? Feel free to chime in here anybody :).

Agu
05/21/2001, 03:22 PM
I would think that if it's been in the tank for "several weeks" there's no need to scrub it off. Scrubbing is to remove excess crud and reduce your cycle time. Using a turkey baster or powerhead should clean it off just fine. Then if there are any stubborn spots a touchup with a clean toothbrush should finish the job.

fwiw, imho, etc,

Agu