PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pumps

Bryan
05/21/2001, 05:11 AM
Anybody out there using bilge pumps as a means of circulation in their tank. I understand they only have a rated life of around 2500 hours.

skipm
05/21/2001, 03:21 PM
I have worked around boats for about the past 26 years and don't think that a bilge pump would last under continuous use, however I have often thought that you could not ask for a better means of circulation during a power outage. FWIW, Skip

SandM
05/21/2001, 03:41 PM
I think that Aquarium Frontiers had an article about using bilge pumps in the aquarium awhile back. The only thing I remember was that the pumps gave you a lot of water movement without the velocity of a power head.

Scott

Bryan
05/21/2001, 05:26 PM
Yes, that's where I got the idea of using one of these pumps, yet I haven't encountered anybody who has actually used one.

Bryan
05/21/2001, 05:28 PM
How long do you think one of the better bilge pumps would last if run continually. I see the Rule pumps have a rated life of around 2500 hours which works out to only 3-4 months.

-=Bryan=-

Originally posted by skipm
I have worked around boats for about the past 26 years and don't think that a bilge pump would last under continuous use, however I have often thought that you could not ask for a better means of circulation during a power outage. FWIW, Skip

Mako
05/21/2001, 05:33 PM
The 2500 hundred hours sounds about right for the rule pumps. I use a 1200 Rule Pump, modified, on my bait well and run the p*ss out it during the long nights of spring snook fishing here in FL. They are great pumps and really move the water. End up having to replace it every 3 years though. Great for power outage backup I would imagine though. Doesnt draw a lot of amps and it's DC. I am working on design to incorporate one in my tank for outages.

Bryan
05/22/2001, 02:57 PM
Skipm

Do you run the pump 24/7 during the fishing season?

-=Bryan=-

Originally posted by mako201
The 2500 hundred hours sounds about right for the rule pumps. I use a 1200 Rule Pump, modified, on my bait well and run the p*ss out it during the long nights of spring snook fishing here in FL. They are great pumps and really move the water. End up having to replace it every 3 years though. Great for power outage backup I would imagine though. Doesnt draw a lot of amps and it's DC. I am working on design to incorporate one in my tank for outages.

Mako
05/22/2001, 04:50 PM
No, not 24/7, but some springs it seems like that. Mostly around 5 to 8 hours a shot around 3 or 4 times a week. Great pump in my opinion, but I doubt it would hold up for very long in continuous duty.

Chuck