PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if I have enough aeration?

RicoJa
05/21/2001, 01:21 AM
My pH on my aquarium is on the low side and I have read that this could be caused by poor aeration which can cause a build up of carbon dioxide in the aquarium.

I have a 100 gallon tank with 3 maxijets power heads at each corner and a return pump line on the forth corner. I also a have a DIY U tube surface skimmer over flow box.

Thank you in advance for you input.

Rico.

PaulErik
05/21/2001, 02:00 AM
Try to aerate with fresh outdoor air. I added an air pump that pumps fresh outdoor air into the sump and my skimmer uses fresh air also. This really helped my ph a lot.

JohnL
05/21/2001, 04:03 PM
Do you have a sump? How about a skimmer? Is the surface of the tank water being agitated?

seasheltie
05/21/2001, 04:35 PM
Quote:
I have a 100 gallon tank with 3 maxijets power heads at each corner and a return pump line on the forth corner.

What size MaxiJets? I have four MaxiJet 1200s on my 50 gallon and also on my 75 gallon. I have five MaxiJet 1200s on my 90 gallon. I aim two in each tank at one another and slightly toward the top to keep the top of the water strongly agitated. The other two are half way down the sides at the back and also aimed at one another so there is plenty of water movement behind the rock. The fifth one on the 90 is halfway down the back glass and aimed directly toward the front so the flow hits the front glass and spreads out.