PDA

View Full Version : too royal of a gramma!!!

Poseidons Pearl
09/06/2003, 07:23 PM
I am looking for some advice (and/or comfort) on a very traumatic incident that just ocurred in our 18 gallon nano tank. We have a yellow tail (very docile) damsel and a cute and very lovable (hence the need for comfort) bicolor blenny and just added a painfully aggressive royal gramma. We watched the tank for about 45 minutes and the gramma continuously attacked both the other fish. Also the gramma would swim up to the others who were feeding and would open its mouth so wide I could see the ribs inside of it!!! I have never seen such behavior and we were forced to remove the gramma from the tank after it maliciously and unforgivingly attacked the blenny almost to the point of serious infliction. I thought grammas were peaceful. Any ideas on what may have happened?

Thanks
Pearl

ps. I am pretty happy with the fact that in our angst, we were able to remove the gramma without tank disassembly. I suppose it's back to the lfs tomorrow!:sad1:

dragon_slayer
09/06/2003, 07:57 PM
never seen any of the sort, my royal gramma is very peacful towards other tank mates. was very shy at first and stayed hide out for a few weeks but after that is in the open of the tank most of the day now.

kc

jsweeney76
09/06/2003, 10:28 PM
When you say bicolor blenny, do you mean a bicolor pseudochromis?? If yes, I know royal grammas do not like anything around the same shape let alone the same color.

jjmg
09/06/2003, 10:33 PM
It seems like the bicolor and the royal gramma are a bit to close in coloring and shape. I don't think I'd give that match a try in a larger tank, let alone a nano. I'm surprised any self respecting damsel just doesn't kick butt.

mista_flicksta
09/07/2003, 01:29 AM
Im surprised that the gramma was bullying the blenny around. My gramma tried that one time but it learned it was too small and that the bicolor was the boss. now they get along(If you can't beat them join them)

ERik

bubbletip
09/09/2003, 11:23 PM
Sorry to hear. My gramma has never done anything worse than jaw dropping and posturing.

TrippingBilly
09/15/2003, 11:36 AM
Was it a royal gramma or bi-color dottyback? They look similar and are pretty mean.
TB

Poseidons Pearl
09/15/2003, 08:19 PM
Hmmmm....
Not a very soothing thought, especially since I specifically asked for a royal gramma. And they do look extremely similar. What is the defining difference between the two besides temperament?
Thanks
Pearl

ignite1402
09/15/2003, 10:04 PM
royal gamma is a very teritorrial fish.. as long as there's any simliar looking/colouring fishes in the tank, it will not spare them... i think u gotta let go of either one of them.. sry abt tt =(

wla20
09/16/2003, 05:20 AM
the dottyback has a clear divide between purple and yellow the gramma will have more of a gradual fade.

Pinecone_Jeff
09/16/2003, 09:11 AM
Here's some pics I found off a search for the two fish:
Bicolor Dottyback
http://www.sandplay-toys.com/pics/bicolor-dottyback.jpg

Royal Gramma
http://www.sandplay-toys.com/pics/royal-gramma.jpg

My Royal Gramma in both my 37 gallon and 10 gallon nano are very peacful and in the 37, very shy. In the 37, the gramma is with a pair of yellow stripe marroon clowns, a black saddle back clown, and a banggai cardinal.

In the 10 gal, he lives with a pair of ocellaris clowns and he does that mouth opening threat with the female ocellaris. It's hilarious! He faints an attack and opens his mouth wide open (and yes, you can see the insides of his gills) as he faces the female clownfish and she'll tip nose down. The both will be at a standoff like that for about 5-8 seconds before one or both slowly go back to normal and swim away. I've never seen them actually chase each other or any other harmful fighting type behavior.

I wonder if you just got a nasty bicolor pseudochromis? Very testy creatures those dottybacks! Even to damsels!