PDA

View Full Version : What to buy....what to buy...

redhdmedic
09/06/2003, 04:20 PM
So I finally got through the mass overtime stint from hell and have the next month off from work...oh thank you lord...and amonst the vacations and all I plan on doing some serious work to my reef. Some of you may have heard about my husband nearly killing every coral I have...don't get me started...by doing the "of course I tested the water today" crap...melting all of my mushrooms, and bleaching my brain coral as well as shrinking my sun colonies to half their size and nearly nicking my fropgspawn. Oddly enough his softies are doing just well....grumble grumble grumble...So, being as today is my birthday, I am making my list. LFS has a gorgeous black sun which I am hoping to make mine...But trying to decide on what else to do. Definitely have to put some more shrooms in, I mean what's a reef without mushrooms? I just want to get you opinions on what you would do.

This is a 40g long reef (kinda small, but it's homey) now stocked as follows:

1 maroon clown (king smarty-pants of the tank)
1 bi-color angel
1 bi-color blennie
1 dragon wrasse
several Mexican Turbo's
few reef hermits (mainly dragon wrasse food)

3 small BTA's (introduced 1 BTA into tank 2 months ago, now have 3- 1" BTA's...guess it was happy)
2 NOW small Sun Coral colonies
1 Sarcophyton
1 Sinularia
1 Orange finger sponge
1 - 3 "headed" frogspawn
small Zoo colony

Haven't taken a pic since the salinity increase from hell...but here is one from a few weeks ago...sorry, I have a crappy camera...not going shopping until later in the week...have all my params back to happy-land, but want to make sure nobody else is gong to kick the bucket...grief...very sad that I am gonig to have to have another person come in and care for the tanks while I'm at work!!! Sheesh! Can't wait to hear your opinions!

CArrie

Boxingcrab
09/06/2003, 06:44 PM
I just thought i would let you know you have a nice looking tank. I hope to see some closeups when you can.

Zephrant
09/06/2003, 11:06 PM
How about a Ricordia or two?

They are my latest fad...

Zeph

blueleg
09/06/2003, 11:13 PM
I am hooked on the ricordias!! The Yumas are nice also :)

jjmg
09/06/2003, 11:25 PM
Lets see...I'm 47 now and the last time I had a month off from work was between my junior and senior years of high school. First I'd arrange and rearrange my tank...then get more mushrooms of some sort. I love those shrooms!

PS...let me know what a month off is like!

Lunchbucket
09/07/2003, 12:24 AM
maybe buy a new hubby for killing all your stuff LOL j/k

Lunchbucket

redhdmedic
09/07/2003, 08:54 PM
lol...I considered the whole trading in the husband thing...lol...yes, it is unusual to have this month off thing going on...but with all the classes coming up (gota love recertification years...ugh) at the end of the year (especially the end of November and December) and the overtime, working 24 hour shifts and all, you end up with some serious time off....ahhh...

I have been checking out some of the ricordia...definitely keen on it. Wanted to get your lighting opinions. I currently have a 96watt smart light (full actinic...don't ask...I know you wanna...lol) with a 55watt 50/50 PC "leaned" in front of it on one side (the reason why one side of the tank is "bluer" than the other). We should be hanging our 250wtt MH after getting back from our fishing trip in 2 weeks, but I was considering doing it this week. How do I acclimate what is left. I know the light doesn't make a big difference food/life wise with my Suns, but I'm assuming it possible to give them a "sunburn"?

Again, thanks a bunches! And thank you so very much for the compliment BoxingCrab! I have just recently figured out how to do this picture thing, but my digi doesn't do the macro thing...and if I could possibly get myself to spend money on something other than aquaria I may have one that does someday...lol. I am trying to get some closer pics though. For what its worth, here's a shot of the middle of the tank, very blue pic.

Thanks for all your help! Take care and be safe!

johnrags1234
09/07/2003, 09:08 PM
Nice looking tank!

I would start the pendent real high for a full photoperiod. I am taklking 24" or so.

Then, I would drop it 2" every day, at night brfore the next days photo perioid (or in the morning before the lights turn on)....

hat will ytake some time, but your corals will be fine, and you wont have to worry about messing with a choppy photo period.

What would I buy? Well Id buy a bunch of acros!

However, Id reccomend various other things if you arent in to SPS (not sure iff you are or not:))

I would look for:
Zoos, all kinds
Ricordia, both R. floridia and R. Yuma
Open Brain coral
Moon or button coral (most retailers have some wild ones right now!)
Mayeb some cool leathers etc.

I guess it really depends on what YOU want!

Have fun,

John

redhdmedic
09/07/2003, 09:19 PM
Thanks, I personally am into SPS in a big way...the husband, not so much...but as we all know, the husband melted the mushrooms and bleached the brain, therefore....

I've been dying for acro's, that's why I got the MH in the first place, I'm just so scared to take the leap, lol. Perhaps Tuesday while te child is in school I shall hang them and we can go to the Marine Scene for some shopping!

I love the look of Zoo's, but as my munchkin is way into the reefing thing (you would be amazed, he really puts the kids at a couple of the LFS here to shame, and he's only 5...imagine that) I'm afraid of the toxin. Perhaps when he gets a bit older and knowldegable and all. Of course, I probably have crap in there just as flippin bad, and don't know it! LOL. I'll try to put a closer pic of the sponge on here...I'm getting used to this pic thing...lol...can't wait to hang these lights! I got 2- 250wtt MH, but I figure I only need to hang 1 on this tank.

Carrie

johnrags1234
09/07/2003, 09:26 PM
I have a 5yo nephew and if he was in the tank or around the system more,, I would also choose not to keep zoos.

I think you are taking a responsible stance :thumbsup:

I would go some place and try a few frags, see how they do and then move on from there....

John

redhdmedic
09/07/2003, 09:31 PM
thanks a bunch, every now and then we stupid paramedics make a responsible decision...lol...but hey, don't let that get out, it may ruin our reputation...lol

Carrie