PDA

View Full Version : My new bamboo shark is not eating. Is this normal for an acclimating shark?

DiggityDanks
09/06/2003, 01:15 PM
I just bought a bamboo shark yesterday that is about 2 months old. He looks like he has grown about 1 or 2 inches since leaving the egg. At the store, I could tell he was shy, because he was trying to hide his head behind some piping. There was a much bigger one that was about 9 inches long that was not so shy. He was always facing the front of the tank with his head turned up. I asked for a feeding and the LFS claimed that he was eating and told me to return him if he isn't. I put him in my 80g(I know this won't house him forever) tank and he swam from side to side in a weird fashion along the ground then hid under some live rock. I placed two pieces of food right under his nose in the sand including shark formula pieces and squid pieces. One time, my snowflake eel came up and ate it because the shark wasn't interested and in the morning when I placed it under his nose again, my bird wrasse snuck up and took it. Is this normal for a bamboo shark to fast for a few days or what? I really don't want him to die in my tank.

Also, my friend bugged me to add a baby lobster in the tank. He spent $17 on it and in the morning, the lobster is dead. His pinchers are torn off and his body was eaten out. Out of the snowflake eel(about 5-7"), the bamboo shark and the bird wrasse, what do you think tore the lobster apart? I watched them for a while and from 6pm to 2am, the lobster was still walking around. If the bamboo shark ate it, I would be happy because atleast I know he ate well but the snowflake and the wrasse I don't care about. They eat all the time.

D5HP
09/06/2003, 01:21 PM
i say eel about the lobster

MR.MORAY
09/06/2003, 03:27 PM
Most likely the eel did it and for the shark try soaking squid in
garlic xtrem by kent. Thats what i do for my sharks.