PDA

View Full Version : Basement sump questions

husker267
09/06/2003, 12:05 PM
Hi all....My fiance and I bought a house and will be moving in around the end of the month. It has a finshed basement, but I would like to set up a basement sump. Here's a couple quick questions.
1. It has a wood subfloor in the basement - it's not a concrete slab. Which means there is a small "crawl space like" area below the basement floor which is ventilated and also contains the sump pump. Is there going to be a sturctural issue having a couple hundred gallons of water in a small footprint?
2. Should I find a way to seal this wood subfloor in the event of water spillage? I'm think of also building a raised lip around the sump area in case of spillage it would be contained.
3. The room I'd like to use is also contains the water heater and furnace both gas. It has proper ventilation, but could this cause any kind of issue? This room will also contain an RO/DI unit and fresh water holding tank.
4. When doing a water change, I'll need to find a way to send the discard water into the outbound waste water line for the house. Any suggestions on how to hook this up or would this be a job for a plumber?
Thanks!

Johnnyfishkiller
09/06/2003, 12:47 PM
1. If you can reinforce the floor in the crawl space area I would.

2. Instead of sealing the floor, can you allow it to drain into the sump pump area? I work on cars, and if you look at a factory sun roof it is allowed to leak then drained away. An aftermarket sun roof is sealed. The aftermarket ones always leak. Easier to let it leak and drain it away than try to contain it.

3. No problem that I know of.

4. Hire a plumber.

Scotsman
09/06/2003, 08:41 PM
^

husker267
09/07/2003, 10:15 AM
Thanks Johnnyfishkiller.....I think I'd still have to seal the floor and install a drain that goes to the basement house sump due to the fact that the floor is wood and would warp if it gets wet. I also spoke with the guy that did the home inspection. He said that while he's not a structural engineer, those floors are very strong since they are built directly on the foundation.
If anybosy else has done this, I'd like to hear from you.

husker267
09/13/2003, 01:34 PM
bump...