PDA

View Full Version : Super Clue Gel

Stars360
05/20/2001, 05:30 PM
hey guys i want to propagate my corals and i know that i have read other posts where it was said to use the gel. i just want to make sure that i got a good one

It is Super Glue Gel, and this is what is in it. cyanoacrylate ester. is this good.

thanks guys

brian

reptilicus
05/20/2001, 06:19 PM
That's the stuff.
Tom

Stars360
05/20/2001, 07:49 PM
thanks tom. so that is the exact stuff that i need... awesome. do i need to put a lot on for star polyps or just a couple of drops.

brian

p.s. i see you are from australia have you ever gone diving on the great barrier reef???

Hannibal
05/20/2001, 10:17 PM
Lot's of people use "ZAP Modeling Gel", it's sold at the local hobby shop. Some LFS also carry it.

Stars360
05/21/2001, 02:27 AM
ok, but is this the exact one that will do the trick. i am only going to be using it w/ star polyps?

brian

ATLANTIS
05/21/2001, 08:30 AM
Stars,

Any cyanoacrylate gel will be the "exact" one you needs... some work better than others... I prefer zap.

Mikey
05/21/2001, 08:40 AM
You can get 20 grams of the Zap gell for $6 + shippping at this place here. http://www.modeltool.com/zap/glue4.html

Mike

Flatlander
05/21/2001, 08:48 AM
I also use Zap-Gel, but not from a model company. The one Brian speaks of is made for aquarium use by ESV, I believe.

Mikey
05/21/2001, 09:11 AM
The Zap gel from ESV is the same, they just charge $2.75 more per 20 grams.

Mike

reptilicus
05/21/2001, 09:36 AM
G'day,
I use stuff called Selley's Super Glue Gel, made from cyanoacrylate, and it works fine. I have never attatched star polyps, only SPS. I imagine with star polyps it is not neccessary to use a large amount. With SPS I just cover the base of the frag, and if I can the rock to which I am attatching it. If I have a frag not attatched to a rock which I am sticking in my display tank this is not possible, but it works better if you can do this, all my "for sale" frags are all done with glue on the frag and the rock.
To answer your question on the diving on the GBR, yes I have dived there a number of times, both in the north and the south. I am a marine biologist in training and as such get to spend a fair bit of time up there looking at various things. I also go up there for holidays when I can afford it. The last time I was up there diving was October 2000, when I spent a week on a live-aboard dive boat NE of Cairns. I am hoping to get up there again in July to do some collecting of SPS for my Uni work. It's a tough job and I wouldn't go otherwise, but you know, work is work :)
If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Regards,
Tom

Stars360
05/21/2001, 03:07 PM
Tom i would just like to say that i envy you. i would absolutly love to go diving on the great barrier reef, or any reef for that matter. I live in New York (united states) and there is nothing up here. thanks for everyones help though..

brian

reptilicus
05/22/2001, 05:47 AM
Yeah I love it, which is why I get up there as much as I can. Get over here and have a dive if you ever have the chance.
Regards,
Tom

Stars360
05/22/2001, 02:46 PM
Thanks tom i definatly would love to. If i am ever out that way maybe i will look you up and we can go diving together..:) how does that sound..

brian

reptilicus
05/22/2001, 10:51 PM
Yeah no worries. Always looking for an excuse to go diving and have a few beers :)
Cheers,
Tom